Oh, the toys

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Emily, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We had a Rally trial today. Failed. Bloody toys.

Just to the left of the first station were the toys. Ella doesn't feel the need to pick up the toys but she definitely must sniff each one o_O

Missed the first station, sniff, retry, got through a few stations, approached the sixth station, sniff again, retry again, stiff again and I withdrew from the ring :facepalm:

I've done such work with toys and she ignores them every time. I thinking it has to be the smell that's attracting her (the toys I practice with are hers so smell like her). I bought four new toys after the trial and will give them to four friends at training tomorrow. I'll ask them to take them home and play with them and bring them back next week.

That will give me four smelly toys to work with.

snowbunny and Stacia like this.
  2. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

Awwww, bless her xx

We're the toys a deliberate distraction or did they just happen to be there? (I know nothing of competitions)

3. Emily

They're a deliberate distraction. The actual station is a figure of eight around two cones. The toys are placed either side of the cones.

This particular course was very tight so other stations were close to the toys. Ella just can't help herself :rolleyes:

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

What a shame. It’s frustrating when they can do it in training but not on the day. I think your plan of giving four toys to friends and then training with them is a really good idea. I know it probably doesn’t feel like it at the moment, but I’d say the fact that Ella only sniffed and didn’t pick them up is an achievement.

5. Emily

Thanks @Joy sometimes it can be hard to see the positives. Thankfully, I'm see a lot less tress from Ella and a lot lower chance of her doing zoomies or wanting to leave the ring on her own. This is of course fantastic.

It doesn't stop me wanting to be swallowed up by an invisible hole in the ring though :rolleyes:

Two honourable mentions from the day... One dog left the ring to find a spectator that was eating a bacon and egg roll :rolleyes: :D
    Another, one of the judge's dogs, left her side to roll around in the ring and then went off for a walk by herself, stopping to do a big poo on the way :rolleyes::D

In comparison, toy sniffing was a fairly minor offence :rolleyes:

drjs@5, edzbird, snowbunny and 5 others like this.
  6. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

Pausing the Labratour for a stop in SF California

:cwl: This really puts Ella's toy sniffing in perspective!

Joy, SwampDonkey and selina27 like this.
  7. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a shame for you, I guess, as they say, it's one to put down to experience :(. Sounds like a good plan with the toys.

I know how I feel just getting Cassie to behave with everyday distractions sometimes, let alone in a competition ring, I still think good for you !:)

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Are you allowed to say "leave" as you approach the toys?

9. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ella did amazingly well, as did you for not being flapped by anything. Good idea with the new toys.

10. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Crikey these Rally thingies are looking really hard! :eek: No way in a million years would Benson leave toys that are scattered in a seemingly random fashion:D. I am truly impressed with how you guys are doing @Emily and @Joy.
    I went to a training day recently and it was so bad it was bonkers...she told me to stop luring Casper as he was blindly following my hand...I frowned and said... no he is not blind at all....:D:D needless to say the rest of the day went from bad to worse!

11. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn has to walk around food and leave it. Really nice smelling food for him. Cats pate, bread and kibble. He was so hungry and tempted to take it...The person who guides us through all these difficult tasks asked me if she could take Finn and show him and others how we were supposed to lead our dogs around it by thinking it is poisonous....I said ok and she took Finn. The first plate he walked by, but the second he was smarter than the lady and he took a sandwich....

edzbird likes this.
  12. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I really admire you for doing Rally trials. Harley would run amok and I doubt I would get her past any stations! Well done you and keep going, you will get there x