Ok to give new pup a bath?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by cubby, Oct 3, 2014.

1. cubby

cubby Registered Users

So we get our pup tomorrow morning. I'm so excited! The breeder has a webcam and we are able to watch our puppy in the whelping box pretty much daily. The pups are getting really big and they have a litter box portion of the whelping box, and they all seem to go pee/poop there but if the breeder isnt there to clean it up immediately (and I mean in like 5 min or less) it seems like all the pups take a poop and then they walk in it, and spread it all over the whelping box (gross!). Maybe the breeder will bath them before we pick the pup up, but would it be awful to give her a light bath when we bring her home? I am not one to over bath my dog (usually I give a bath a few times a year or when they have rolled in something really gross). But the thought of this pup walking around my house and playing with my kids when it has recently rolled in poop grosses me out.

Can I just use baby shampoo?

2. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

Re: Ok to give new pup a bath?

Get some proper puppy shampoo it's different PH level to human shampoo. We had to do Elsie when she came home to us she was so smelly it was unpleasant and she came to no harm at all. Although I wonder if that started her obsession with water - can't pass a muddy puddle this girl.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I did! Just with water 'tho. Tatze was very whiffy when she arrived.

It's the only bath she's ever had :)

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I bathed Penny as soon as I brought her home, she was a bit smelly as she came from a stable - it's a good way to get them used to the experience.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

We don't have a bath at home - we ripped it out and replaced it with a big shower because neither of us likes a bath. I wonder if our little gem will be OK with that if she needs one. I thought I might put her in the bathroom with me when I shower and see if she tried to come in with me (it's open at one end so she'd be free to come and go). If she likes it, it would be good to make it a game. If not - well, let's just hope she doesn't like fox poo!

I've bought some Pet Head puppy shampoo in anticipation :)

6. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

We don't have a bath either Elsie is showered and Betty Chihuahua is bathed in the kitchen sink.

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She'l be fine in the sink.

After that, the hose outside is ideal for mud removal - but I wouldn't use shampoo, it strips the natural oils.

Ketchup for fox poo and plain water for everything else :)

8. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I nearly gave boucer a bath after he jumped into a bucket containing old fishtank water (fishpoo, ewww).

I couldnt bring myself to do it in case I wash away that new puppy smell.

:)

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I washed my new pup after he poo'd in the car crate and then stood in it eeuugh! I used a puppy shampoo and only washed the bits that really needed it. He still has puppy smell :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Be careful how you bath a new pup - my pup I had as a kid got a bath early on (I was only 15 and clueless) and he pretty much hated baths for the rest of his life. So I got it wrong. There is no need for dogs to hate baths, at all. But so very many do (as a quick YouTube search shows - I don't think it's funny, those dogs are not happy pups).

Instant bath pet wipes are good. If you don't like the idea of a dirty dog on your carpets, then you'll need them after every walk. I'm thinking of buying shares in the company...

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I put Harley in the bath 2 days after we got her. We have never had a problem getting her in there....she jumps in even if it's empty. She has also been in the shower with me once and hubby once - she loved it :) she does love water of any kind :)

12. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I feel Chepi is missing out! I suppose I would bath her if she was covered in poo or sick. Maybe I should start introducing her to the bathroom. That means going UPSTAIRS! Forbidden territory (that's the cats' haven) ::)

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Obi puppy went in the sink. Riley gets a bucket of warm water and a cloth in the garden rather than a proper bath :)

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would definitely wash and shampoo a smelly puppy. In the sink, using lots and lots of treats, mildly warm water, slow movements and starting at the tail end (less scary).

Spencerboy likes this.
  15. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Molly STANK having been peed and pooed on by her 12 litter mates.

We bathed her in the kitchen sink on the second day. We haven't bathed her since.

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've only got one of our dogs as a puppy and he definitely didn't smell bad at all... We visited often and they never smelled. Can it have been an exception? I'm surprised to hear of so many stinky litters!!! ;D

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie always smelled fabulous - when we visited, and when we picked him up. He didn't need a bath. The breeder gave him a wipe over with something before she handed him to me (I don't know if he'd have been smelly otherwise). The litter was in a room off the kitchen with access to the garden, I think they had already got used to pooing outside. I only ever saw one of them wee, and the breeder was in there and mopped it up right away.

First pup, years ago, was on a farm and a loosebox was their home (they had free run of the stable yard from about 6 weeks), and think he had already learned to roll in horse poo before he came home...he needed a bath, for sure.

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Bath here too.
    And built up the whole shower experience thing. Poo roller ::)

Isn't it amazing how clean dog's paws are considering what they tramp through. I am sure they are related to teflon.

19. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would have thought there shouldn't be any poo or pee in the whelping box, the bitch usually cleans up and if they are older they should be doing it away from the box or in a corner. The breeder should be cleaning up almost constantly ;D The puppies I have brought home have all smelled adorable, that lovely puppy smell which I would be loathe to bath away :)

20. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=8111.msg114632#msg114632 date=1412406796]
    Bath here too.
    And built up the whole shower experience thing. Poo roller ::)

Isn't it amazing how clean dog's paws are considering what they tramp through. I am sure they are related to teflon.
    [/quote]

Paws yes, but Bouncers coat is made of velcro as I am forever removing stuck "stuff" from him.

Non-Stick paws & Non-Slip coat.