Old dog meets new dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Flomac, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Flomac

Flomac Registered Users

Hi folks new to forum but in need of advice. Have an adorable 12 year old lab and a new 12 week old puppy but old dog not impressed. I'm aware that old dog finds puppy too bouncy but can't have them in same room and need to be walked separately. Also have 2 cats who are a little more tolerant and keep puppy in check. Would love both dogs to get along , any suggestions welcome.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Old dog meets new dog

Welcome to the forum! :)

Several people here have introduced a pup to an older dog so I'm sure they'll be along. :)

Just a few questions though - How long have you had your puppy for? How would you describe the pup and older dog's interaction when in the same room? What happens exactly?

3. Flomac

Flomac Registered Users

I have had my puppy for 4 weeks now and she gets totally excited when seeing the older dog so approaches her then starts jumping around her. Doesn't bite the older dog but licks her face and ears and the older dog then walks away but puppy follows then older dog makes to escape which I allow her to do for some peace. In saying that puppy has just allowed older dog to walk past her to go for a wee without jumping at her so maybe progress or just a fluke!

4. Oberon

That sounds like very normal and friendly behaviour from your little puppy (even if it may be a bit persistent...) :) Apart from leaving the scene, what else does your older dog do in response? Does she snap at the puppy? Ignoring or moving away from an enthusiastic young pup is a normal thing for a mature dog to do :)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there, I brought a new puppy home to our elderly 13 year-old lab, and I have to say in retrospect I wouldn't do it again out of choice. Bones (the old boy) was terribly kind to her, but Poppy drove him to distraction, and I just had to make sure he had places to go where she couldn't bug him all the time. I also used to walk him on his own once a day, just so we had 'us' time, and gave him lots of hugs and cuddles so he didn't feel left out. She bit him, knocked him over, stole his toys and his food, and just wouldn't leave him alone. He wouldn't even growl at her; just cried for help when she got too rambunctious. I used to put her in her crate sometimes, to give him a bit of peace, and never left them alone because she was too rough with him.

The puppy gained terrifically by having an older dog in the house. She never once cried at night, didn't seem to miss her mother or siblings (her crate was next to his bed), and learnt from his calm character. She also clearly felt protected by him to some extent and used to run to him if there were any dogs around that she didn't know well!

It took a while, but by the time she was 4 or 5 months old, they became very good friends, and the puppy learned to be more careful. I think this will happen with your two as well, but my advice is just take good care of your old dog, don't let her become jealous of the puppy, show the pup (kindly) that you will not allow her to bully the older dog or pester her unduly... all the things you are probably doing already! Stay patient, and don't worry... :)

6. Flomac

Flomac Registered Users

Hi folks, thanks for the advice. Puppy isn't being cruel to older dog but I agree that she still needs to feel special as puppy taking up lots of our time. Hopefully they will be best friends as old dog really placid and is great company. Will continue to persevere. :)

7. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

We have the same situation with our new puppy, we have had her 8 weeks now and she has started to leave our other dog alone now, but when we first got her she was constantly pestering him to play and wanted to snuggle up to him, but he was not having any of it and would walk away from her, if she got too much for him we put her in her cage to calm down for 5 mins. They both have separate walks, separate training times and separate play times, which makes things easier for him as he has his special one to one time with me, and more often than not we will just sit there cuddling each other, whilst i am giving him a massage

8. Shell

Shell Registered Users

Hi, just joined and getting great advice already. I had 2 black labs, one of which passed last November aged 11, leaving my 9 year old. I have finally got to the stage of getting another as my boys were/are the best thing in my life. I have only just (4 days ago) picked up a little female (Willow) who is 16 weeks tomorrow and am starting to remember how manic puppies can be :eek: It's amazing how you forget when you've had years of wonderful happy placid labs :) I'm glad to read this thread as I am having similar issues with Jack (9 year old), worrying if she is torturing him during the day when I am at work. He does growl now and again when she tries to bite his lips or jumps over enthusiastically on his nose but mostly he is very soft with her - letting her take a bone or toy, he has even started looking for her when out walking on the beach. I am hoping I did the right thing and they settle well together as Jack and my previous big lad (Teal) were like siamese twins.

Fingers crossed, but so glad I found this site, it has given me lots of hope!

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I've posted these photos elsewhere on this forum, but just to show that an old dog and a puppy can become very attached to each other:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That top picture of Bones and Poppy just melts my heart every time I see it Karen :'(

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Gorgeous photo :) reminds me of Harley (9.5weeks) and my friends dog Bruno (12 years) on the weekend. They got on soooooo well, it's great for teaching puppies as well. Good luck

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

That top picture made me have a little tear Karen......I know it was quite a tough time for you all but looking at that photo makes me think there were a lot of catch your breath good moments as they got used to each other too x

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thank you... He was a lovely dog! But I think he liked her best when she was sleeping... ;)

14. Shell

Shell Registered Users

Ohhh they are gorgeous, brilliant photo's. I think Jack's favourite time is when she's sleeping too lol

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh Karen, that top picture in particular is such a special one :)

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

However - warning - pups really can be a bit of a trial for the older dog... (Just love poor Bones' facial expression in this one, so long suffering :* )

[​IMG]

17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

oh lord ! Poor Bones :eek:

Poppy's expression is priceless too......what? I was only playing with him....

18. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Those are all adoreable Karen , a testiment to dear old Bones wonderfully patient nature, just beautiful :)

19. Oberon

Oh lordy, that is so funny ;D Bones' face says it all ;D What a gem of a dog he must have been.

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's a smashing photo!