OMG - crazy dog!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Looby Lou, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

One of our pups had a slight limp yesterday after rough and tumble with his brother, so we have rested him today to see if it eased before deciding whether he needed a trip to the vet. As a result of pent up puppy energy he went absolutely crazy at tea time! We have a large block paved patio area then a fence and gate into the big lawned garden, so it's easy to limit the room for chasing around. But being a mad lab, Barney decided to bomb round the patio, fall onto the plastic shell paddling pool on his side, dipping his head right into the water, then run into the house skid into the fridge and do the wall of death on the sofa before I could tackle him to the ground! I sat with him and towelled him gently, at which point he dove off the sofa and leaped on top of their crate!! (A 48" giant crate which luckily has a soft bed on top of it!)

The only thing I could do was to lift him down and put him in the crate to calm down for 10 mins.

Luckily he doesn't appear to have injured himself and his limp seems to have gone, so he will be getting his exercise tomorrow! The joys of puppyhood lol.

Lou x

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: OMG - crazy dog!!

I know I shouldn't, but........LMAO ;D
    Hope he is ok and not hurt himself more though :'(

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sorry, I laughed too. I can picture it all.

I hope he relaxes after that crazy episode!!

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Life with a labrador puppy is never dull

5. Looby Lou

I laughed too, once he was in the crate! I have to say after having labs for the last 15 years I have NEVER seen anything like it, he was like a dog possessed and took some catching! He is so strong even at just 5 months.

Poor Jack (little innocent chaser and instigator extraordinaire...) sat there looking bemused at me chasing Barney and diving on the floor to catch him and stop him ;D

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=8437.msg119299#msg119299 date=1414093993]
    Life with a labrador puppy is never dull
    [/quote]
    Definitely not, especially with two! But i wouldn't have it any other way....i think lol

Lou x

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Looby Lou link=topic=8437.msg119282#msg119282 date=1414090482]
    at which point he dove off the sofa and leaped on top of their crate!! (A 48" giant crate which luckily has a soft bed on top of it!)

[/quote]

Truly hilarious x

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hi, Lou, my pup Cooper (almost 8 months) also has had a limp sometimes when he comes back from doggie day care....taken him twice to the vet.....she can't find anything wrong with his leg bone-wise.....has given him a good examination but suggested (for my peace of mind since it's my first dog!) that he have x-rays, so am having these done next Tuesday. My major concern is that it is the same leg that has the limp. It is only the first and second step he takes and then he walks it off but.....am still concerned. Other times he has played with big dogs and no problem....other times he comes back from day care and there is no problem.....plus, as you know, they are VERY energetic. He jumps in and out of the car, goes up and down the stairs into the garden, jumps up at me when I come in to his area to greet me(?), and so on and he is fine. Why this happens I have no idea. Will post how he made out with his x-rays. If it is not bone-related it would have to be a muscle or tendon and I just cant imagine him going through an MRI!!!! Plus what it would cost!!! Ouch!

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Let us know how you get on Yvonne with the X-rays.....good to get him checked out thoroughly,limps can be a worry.
    It's not easy but it might help you to reduce the limping episodes by reducing his jumping opportunities ....Im careful with Dexter jumping even though he's 2 ....he does jump out the car but he's only in it a couple of times a week and he jumps onto sand.He didn't do stairs in the house until, he was 1 ,he will 'heel ' going up but I need to do more work on coming down....generally he isn't bad but there are some mad running episodes where he was skidding and slamming into the wall,I've stopped that after Stacia told me it's the most common way for a dog to break an elbow ??? I know that's different to stairs Cooper needs to do to get out to the garden.
    Hopefully your insurance will cover everything vets bills aren't cheap especially for the big things....I hope it's nothing serious ,good luck with the check up x

9. Looby Lou

Coopers sounds similar to Barney's limp, he just walks it off, but then occasionally he holds up his back foot. It's come back again last night and today so we've booked him in at the vets for a check up. They were due to go for weighing/worming treatment today anyway. We've noticed that they both have a bit of a cat-like walk at times, not sure if it's just bad they're growing, as they are very leggy now, or something more worrying, so we'll ask the vet to have a look too.

They at both very giddy and boisterous, but we try to stop them doing things that might injure them, they aren't allowed upstairs unless we are with them, and they can only walk up the stairs as OH carries them down, and we trained them to 'slither' off the sofa rather than jump, which they do 90%if the time...Barney however, just puts his front paws down and instead of gently sliding off on his belly, he now just flops really heavily onto his side, which I don't think is helping matters! We are now telling him to "step down" and it seems to be working, but we aren't always in the same room when he does it .

Hope Cooper gets on ok on Tuesday, let us know the results.

Lou x