Once again so proud.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rolokris, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Rolo had his first puppy training class last night. He has only been in the car twice so was a bit worried to get out when we got there but he did eventually. *Note to self must have hubby's car more often so I can take him out more. So the trainer wanted to know what he can do already which is a very good sit and a good recall responding well to his name. She taught us (me and freya my 10 year old daughter) how to get him to watch, how to get him to heel and how to get him to go down. He did so so well. He barked a lot more than I have ever heard him but he was being overpowered by a 5 month old shitsu so had to tell him off and since we have been home I've not heard a bark from him.
    I am annoyed with being asked "why did you go for a chocolate lab? You do know they are really dim don't you?" I am dumfounded really because then the trainer continued to say he has done so much more at his first puppy training class than any other pup she has trained. :eek:

Everything just seems to be slotting into place. He goes to bed between 22.00pm and 23.30pm whines at about 6.30am to go out for a wee and poop has his breakfast. He is allowed in the rest of the downstairs of the house in the afternoon and hasn't had any accidents, in fact he tells me when he needs to go out.

Things are going really well. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all. I trawl through all of the posts and take out any nuggets of info I need. When I have problems or questions they always get answered, I am so glad I found this site.

Thank you :*

2. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Once again so proud.

Well done. Sounds as if both of you are doing really well. 8)

Ignore the chocolate lab comment - there are a lot of misconceptions around.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Sounds like you're getting along marvellously.

Ditto to your comments about the forum, it's just fab!

I think you're just going to prove everyone wrong about choccies being dim. People do have some strange biases!

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Well done Rolo :)
    I don't believe all chocolates are dim.....look at some of the chocolates on this forum - most are better trained than my pup! All pups can be mad and looney ;)

5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Well done. :)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You should indeed be proud of yourself, your daughter and of Rolo!!! :D

The 'dim chocolate' comment should just be treated with the contempt it deserves.

7. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Good to hear things are getting better! It'll get there!

And I heard my first comment about chocolates not being as smart the other day at the dog park -- I never knew that was a common opinion until then! A man said "I know chocolates are known to be the least intelligent of the three, but they're still my favorite."

I don't get it. Rue has done so well with training in every aspect, and she has caught on quickly to everything. No complaints as far as her intelligence goes.

8. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Chocolate lab owners around the world lets stand together and prove all the critics wrong. Lol. Some people do say some ridiculous things don't they? Since having Rolo I must have been asked at least 10 times "You do know he's going to get bigger don't you?" What a stupid thing to say.

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

10. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Well done Rolo. I can't believe the comments about chocolate labs, my friend has a choc old boy who us deaf and now watches her so he knows when she motions him to come back! And he knows he isn't allowed on a sofa or chair til his blanket is on it, and if it's on the chair he stares at her and looks at the sofa, telling her he wants to sprawl out on there! I think that shows a very intelligent dog, as are all the labs I've ever known or known of x

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Rolokris link=topic=8533.msg120614#msg120614 date=1414650847]

I am annoyed with being asked "why did you go for a chocolate lab? You do know they are really dim don't you?"

[/quote]

Sometimes this annoys me, but more often that not it doesn't. It depends what mood I'm in! ;D ;D ;D

Every type of person across the board says something about chocolate labs though. I think the experienced trainers mght be commenting on a genuine observation, and I listen because it's good to know if the type of dog you have has certain traits.

The people I really, really don't listen to are pet owners out and about - they mainly make me laugh. Eg Charlie got excited by the river, and a chap nodded wisely and said "oh, black for working, yellow for pets and chocolates are just mad". Yeah? Seriously? Sure he's not just a normal young labrador looking forward to a swim? ;D ;D ;D

12. suze12

suze12 Registered Users

Just finishing our walk this morning and met a nice lady with an elderly collie. Asked how old Milo was then said, oh my grandfather had one of those choc ones, they are harder to train aren't they? I had to smile to myself, and just said, well I had a cocker before, and he was quite stubborn, to which she replied, oh cockers are very lively aren't they, to which I said, well actually no, he was very laid back! Milo then proceeded to roll on his back for a tummy tickle, luckily no mouthing in sight! Let's dispel these myths about certain breeds or colours having certain characteristics! When I mentioned having a cocker people always said oh, he must be a handful! In truth he loved nothing more than lying on his settee!

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh well done at your class,lovely you can go with your daughter too.
    People can be so rude can't they,I think Chocolates are just lovely and the ones I've met on here and in real life strike me as far from dim x

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My old Billy was a chocolate labrador / brittany spaniel cross. I have never in my life come across a more intelligent, sensitive, eager to please and generally lovely dog. :D

And yet - he was a cross between a 'stupid' chocolate labrador and a 'hyper and difficult to train' spaniel... ::)

Go figure.

Each dog should stand on their own merits, not on some generally accepted cliche.

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like you and Rolo are doing brilliantly :)

The colour thing is just a stereotype in my view. It'd be easily proven with a well designed study. I have met plenty of crazy blacks and yellows at our dog club over the years and also sensible, smart dogs of all three colours :)

16. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

The colour thing is total pigswill. You could have two black, yellow or choccy parants but that doesnt mean their pups will be the same colour.

But their DNA will be in all of the pups regardless of colour.

That said, Bouncer was on of 12 in a litter & everyone of them was pure black, go figure.

.???