Opinions of 1st litters

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Olivia__, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

ive read that buying from a bitch's first litter is bad and that I shouldn't do it. But I don't understand why I shouldn't if the puppies are healthy and mum is treating them well? What do people think? If nobody bought a bitch's first litter where would the puppies go?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Well, you're always going to have a little bit more of a gamble with a first litter, I suppose. But I wouldn't let it put me off. If both parents have good health scores and temperaments, then I think that's a good indicator.
    In fact, the puppy I'm picking up in just over a week is out of first-timers for both sire and dam! But, both are fabulous dogs with good health results so I'm happy with that.
    Do you have your eye on a litter?

3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Did what you read say WHY it was bad? I've never heard that. IN fact I know some people believe there should *never be more than one breeding of any two dogs so a second or third breeding from a bitch from those breeders would always be the first litter of that particular crossing. I could imagine a first litter for the bitch might have more health concerns for her and puppies so delivery of a pup might be in more jeopardy than from an experienced bitch so you might not get a puppy. But no pregnancy is foolproof.

* to diversify the gene pool with a new mix by changing the sire.

4. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

This is interesting but I've also never heard it before. Perhaps it could be because you don't know how they will turn out? Otherwise it seems like somewhat of an old wives' tale. But, I'll reiterate what everybody else has said and as long as both sire and dam have good temperament, working ability or showing ability (if you're looking for either or both of those things), and good health scores, you should end up with a great dog. If you are concerned, breeders will often allow you to visit (once the pups are old enough) and assess the litter/meet the parents. That way you can choose a pup with whatever traits you wish. Ask the breeder to aid you if you are looking for a specific thing (i.e. the calmest pup) since they will have spent weeks with the puppies and would know a little more about their personalities.