'other' dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by murphthesmurf, Nov 23, 2017.

1. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

Hi all

Just asking for some advice really. I have a beautiful 2 year old black lab (neutured male) who is absolutely soft as anything and when he meets friendly dogs will play lovely, no growling or anything (if anything he is quite submissive). I have noticed recently though wherever we go he is constantly growled at / barked at / lunged at by other (usually smaller) dogs. he never ever reacts/doesnt bark back or anything - when I see other dogs coming I get his attention and he'll plod on looking up at me but they still have a right go at him (I am certain if they got close enough they would bite). When he was 18 months old, a jack russel came up to him (it was off lead, he was on lead) and took a chunk out of one of his ears leading to surgery and one ear smaller than the other. Is it something he is giving out? I genuinely cant see anything he is doing - or is it just that he is a BIG BLACK dog?

Any suggestions / experiences greatfully received, thanks!

2. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Maisy too is very friendly, placid and submissive, she was also attacked by a small dog when only a small pup (dachsund) and is completely unaffected by it, she still gets on and plays with the friendly ones. Yet small dogs do tend to be aggressive toward her, there are some other dachsunds (though I think they are like that to everyone) and also an apparently friendly mini schnauzer that likes everyone else but growls at Maisy. I wonder if there is something in what you have said, or our dogs could just be the cool dudes and the others are jealous :cool:

Alfie and me likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I think this is the case. My 10 year old black Lab Sky is not the least bit interested in other dogs outside (it took her 5 months to accept the puppy Red and whilst I know she likes/loves her, she is still cool towards her although is generally ‘up’ for a play). Sky has been attacked on many occasions - she had a small terrier hanging off her neck last year for no reason - Sky was walking off lead but to heel with my DH just enjoying their walk when the terrier came from nowhere and the owner didn’t do anything. She is just indifferent to other dogs. She is very passive and tries to avoid what she may perceive as trouble.

I think @murphthesmurf you are very lucky to have such a gentle boy. It’s always makes me sad to think that other dogs want to harm my gentle girl. All we can do is look out for them.

Karen and Shaz82 like this.
  4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I think there could be some of this, bless him, he sounds so lovely what a shame this keeps happening to him.
    At the first training class I went to one of the other dogs, a terrier, was forever eyeballing Cassie, my black lab, and growling and barking at her across the room. The trainer said that other dogs often perceive black dogs as threatening. The onus was always on me to move position or obstruct the vision to the other dog - I never quite got that one but heyho that's a whole other story.
    Cassie would love to meet your boy and play! She really loves other black labs :)

Alfie and me likes this.
  5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

How upsetting for you! I have also seen neutered dogs be aggressive towards entire dogs, in fact my own dog is like this :oops:

It's obviously to do with the hormones which makes the other neutered dog feel threatened, maybe?

Just thought I would mention it as it could be another explanation.

6. Alfie and me

Alfie and me Registered Users

I know exactly what you mean. I have the same with Alfie all the time and it drives me mad. He is now 20 months and I’ve really started to appreciate how good he is when we’re out but constantly little dogs have a go at him. Last week a terrier was walking past and he suddenly started growling and went for Alfies neck! I was horrified and then I couldn’t quite believe it when the man walking him started shouting at me to get my dog!! When my son had moved away with Alfie I told him that shouting at me was unacceptable, he then said that the dogs were going to rip each other apart!! I told him that my dog was never aggressive but he just kept raising his voice (I could see where his dog got his attitude) In the end I got so cross that I told him that he was an arsehole! Not my greatest moment but he was just hideous. Some little dog went for him again this morning. I don’t know what the answer is but it sure is annoying,

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Unfortunately it's something I see a lot. Some, not all, owners of small dogs don't see their dog as 'aggressive' and it's always the bigger dogs fault. I shouted for a lady to recall her 3 terriers who ran full pelt up to us as Harley was on lead. The woman shouted 'they are friendly', 2 seconds later one started snarling, then the others joined in. The lady came running pretty quickly as soon as Harley growled back and had the cheek to say I needed to control my dog when her 3 surrounded us!!

8. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Sorry I know not nice and can be hard work to manage and keep an eye out all around.

We have/still at times have this with Vanilla and small dogs or certain large breeds. Biggest mistake we ever did was to take Vanilla to day-care as a trial for a few Friday's when she was a pup. At the time she was about 16weeks+ and it was free if the owner stayed (all her injections done). Problem was it was mainly small adult dogs and the odd pup (including Labs) and I should have stuck to my initial instinct when we got there. Problem was they are the nearest positive training centre near us and plenty of positive reviews. Anyhow got there, it is a double gate through first one and then take leash off and then through second one. As we entered first gate all the dogs where barking and rushing towards the gate. Staff said that is normal and advised me to walk in and Vanilla will follow, off leash. Yes she did and I had never seen a dog cower so quickly after a few steps and most going up to sniff. They said that was normal and she is learning her 'pecking order'. Now looking back and seeing some pictures that I took, and reading more about it was the wrong thing for her.
    Because of this it transferred to other places, and only now in the last 4months or so she is getting more confident around smaller dogs. I have spent plenty on this, and I thing the best yet so far is on the oval. One person has a small dog that loves to torment dogs on the leash. I absolutely hated this, so we always kept our distance. One day we saw them coming, and I decided to let Vanilla off leash and work with her. The other dog quickly realised that Vanilla was off leash and went away. Vanilla just sat there, no issue with distance and she did not chase etc. Never actually seen the owner since :)

I am not sure if it is something that they give out, as such. All I have done is work with her to gain her confidence and trust in me and it is now paying off.

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

How irritating for you! Can you find quieter places to walk him?

Another way of helping your dog gain a bit of confidence is to train a cue, such as a "turnabout" or "behind" the first one lets your dog know you are moving away from a stressful situation, and the second uses your body to block the other dog.