Otis update.

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Maggie68, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Just thought I would let you all know how Otis is getting on. His nipping seems to have stopped, but he does still mouth a lot, and its still a bit painful, but it dosent go on forever. The thing that concerns me most is his toilet training, starting from tomorrow, Im going to keep a tally to see how often he goes in the garden and how often in the house, I know its up to me to take him out as often as possible, and its not his fault at all. Going to get a special cleaner from pets at home to see if this will get rid of at least a bit of the smell. He has occasionaly eaten his poo, very yucky, I do pull him away, which stops him, but sometimes im not quick enough. Ive decided to up the praise and give him a small treat for when he goes in the garden or outside, think it might help. He did have a couple of days of doing really disgusting doggy farts, oooh they were baaaddd! I take him out for a fifteen minute walk at the moment which he loves, and he dosent really pull on the lead. Other good things are he is fine going in the car in his crate, and I can leave him in his crate at home for about an hour and a half and he is fine, after an initial two minute wimper. His coat is lovely and shiny, and he looks healthy too. He has dug couple of holes in the garden and bit the heads of my roses, chews any shoes he can get his paws on too. He is a lovely pup though, and I love him to bits. We start puppy classes on Sunday, looking forward to it, Im sure it will be great fun. Sorry Ive really blabbed on! Maggie

2. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: Otis update.

sounds like he as settled in well :)

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah Maggie,lots of progress in your post ,well done.I never had an issue with toilet training ( dex was 5 months when we got him) but because there are so many new puppies around at the mo,I've seen a few forum members mention,save your money on sprays that are supposed to eliminate smells as they don't work.....it seems to just be perseverance and frequency until they grow...and their bladders do too_Otis Cronk ( ;D) sounds a handsome,good looking one ...can you out a pic up,feel Like I haven't seen him for a long time!x

4. Maggie68

Hi, Yep Ill try and work out how to do the pic thing again and put some up for you. X

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

6. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

What a lovely post! I felt like I was reading a letter from a friend, it's lovely catching up on how others are getting on with their pups. I'd go right back to the beginning on house training, follow Otis everywhere, taking him out at all the key moments, after play, eating, waking up, every half hour or so. He crack it soon, and you'll realise it's been days since he did anything inside the house! I don't know how good cleaners are at covering any smell, Charlie was always outside copying the older dogs so I never had that particular problem. Pippa has an article on the main website about them eating poo, worth a read through.

DoH! Barbara types faster than me. ;D

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ha ha!!!!! ;D ;D

8. Maggie68

Hi, Thanks for all your help, Im determined to crack this toilet training, he is three months now, actualy three months and a couple of weeks I think, so determined to start making progress.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yuk, the poo eating is a truly gross stage... They do seem to grow out of it though (though not fast enough, it sometimes seems!) :eek:

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That really was a lovely post to read , well done all round :)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good luck Maggie! Lovely to hear how Otis is getting on.

The puppy book I had said pups had to have 3 bits of kibble as a reward every time they "go" in the garden. (The author went on to say it didn't really matter whether it was 1 or 4, but people remembered if they had to count out 3.) It worked for us! OH carefully counted out 3 kibble every time, like it was critical Charlie got 3 (he still does it, and Charlie rushes to pee then runs full blast to OH to sit and accept his 3 kibbles). It's a bit cute.

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

It's a lot cute Julie! Charlie AND you're Hubby counting out the kibble meticulously!

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh yes, Charlie can count to 3 alright - he knows if he has been short changed on his reward for pee kibble!

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yep, Lilly knows when she has had her 3 gravy bones at bedtime that thats it :)

Jac