Our first fox poo!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Sersi, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

Well, today for the first time Digby rolled in some fox poo. He's just over 6 months and has therefore been out and about many times so I wondered what on earth he was doing when he started breakdancing at the edge of the field, soon realised when he came back to me....good grief! Every one has said to me you'll know fox poo if you smell it and I thought OK then we'll see...how right they were. Incredible smell, what on earth do foxes eat that does that???? I sponged him down with a bucket of warm water and baby soap. What a laugh, his first bathing experience and its freezing. Inexperience showing when I foolishly didn't think to put him on a lead or anything to start with - he was bounding about all over the place having a great old time. Anyway - finally cleaned him up but he still smells dreadfully. Have been recommended Cowboy Magic - Greenspot remover. Anybody used this successfully?
    In the meantime he's confined to the kitchen but its not pleasant smelling in here at all - in the absence of any air fresheners or scented candles I'm thinking of making myself one of those pomanders like the children do at school - an orange with cloves and herbs in it....

2. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Re: Our first fox poo!

Congratulations on your first fox poo and welcome to the world of strong smelling labradors and smeared collars...Tomato ketchup! rub it in the fox poo area then wash off after a bit. gets rid of the wiff beautifully. My two love a good fox poo roll...

3. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

Thanks for the tip - how long would you leave it on before washing? It was pretty cold today and he really didn't want to stay outside. The worst bit was walking home with him, it was all over his head and sides and for once he was doing an amazing heel - kept wanting to come so close that he touched me...euuww. I looked ridiculous constantly arching my body away from him and stepping to one side - he was most confused :D

4. debsie

debsie Registered Users

hee hee! I leave it on for about ten mins but you have to restrain them when its on otherwise it's everywhere as well...or in my case one of them will helpfully lick it off the other....I'm sure you can buy a shampoo now that does the job too, might be easier but I can't remember what it is. To be honest I'm sort of immune ot faint wiffs of fox poo now, I only notice the aftermath of a really good all over roll...

5. Summerleft

Summerleft Registered Users

LOL it stinks, our terrier always rolls in it collar and all little so and so, luckily our lab doesnt seem to bother

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oooh yuk, no rolling with my two either - thankfully ;D Helen

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Only use ketchup if you can live with the association of fox poo next time you put ketchup on your chips :eek:
    I recently bought "Animology" Fox Poo shampoo and it doesn't have much of a smell itself, and seems to work not bad for me (well...for Lilly!)
    Tried all sorts. Good bath works better than a spot clean for us - probably coz its never just a spot.

Jac
    ;D

8. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Tried the ketchup trick, just ended up with a dog full of ketchup and still stinky -and then 'delightfully', colourfully sick :p
    Like Jac, it's usually more than a spot, Maia delights in rubbing it in just behind her ears, down her neck and across a shoulder, just like expensive perfume, although I must admit she much prefers green rabbit guts or half decomposed toad, aren't Labradors lovely, why do we do it??
    So we stick with a dilute solution of bob martin's, ready mixed in an old washing liquid bottle, and a hosepipe, oh and rubber gloves help too! And a short lead tied to something fixed is a good idea too.... And then stand well back as soggy doggy bum tucks around the garden at high speed. ;D

9. David

David Registered Users

I find there's not much you can do either. I tried the ketchup thing but not with much success. I expect it works fine but just not on my live wire. What I did find that makes the shampooing more effective is the first wipe of the coat. I use a car sponge. It's essential to wipe in the direction of the hair otherwise you drive the pooh into the coat. A few wipes and rinses like that will ususally get the majority of it off then you can go for a good soaking and lathering. I disolve the dog shampoo in a pint jar and pour it over her while working it into her coat. She hates the hose soI just have a couple of buckets of tepid clean water to douse her with afterwards. Never stand side on to the dog or you end up soaked and poohed too.

I need to keep an eye on her like a hawk when we are out. You can tell with a bit of practice when the dog is going to roll and field most of them before they happen if you are quick.

Good luck! ;D

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yes, you get to recognise that particular way of sniffing, and the preparation to drop the shoulder... You learn to shriek LEAVE IT!!!!!!! at the top of your voice!!!!!!! ;D

11. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

Much more than a spot with us too.
    The smell has pretty much gone today. I did stand side on David, and with him off lead - what a numpte , won't be doing that again. :-[

12. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Lots too look forward to I see. I think this can be one of my husbands jobs!

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thats a good plan Jade.
    Won't work though ;)

jac

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yes, the words 'YOUR DOG has rolled in fox poo again' have been heard in our house from time to time as well... ;)

15. David

David Registered Users

I'm afraid de-poohing the dog always falls to me. Seems she's my dog when she's rolled!

16. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Your right, properly it will be my job!

By the way, what age did you start getting puppies used to been bathed/hosed down?

17. David

David Registered Users

Well Lady started to roll whe she was about 1 year old as far as I can remember. I've kind of taken things very gently with her and done the absolute minimum. She used to have to be tethered to a trailer in the garden otherwise she's just run off, but now she will tolerate being washed down all over just standing patiently at the age of 3. I tend to only do it if she's in serious need ie with fox pooh on her because washing makes her coat less waterproof and as I take her shooting in the winter it's important that she has a good waterproof coat. So winter washing is as minimal as possible, and summer washing is a bit more thorough, but both are really only when I can't stand the smell any longer. ;D

The pooh is usually just on the neck and shoulder so you can normally get away with just washing the affected area.

18. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

I'd never bathed Digby before this incident. More of a sponging down with a bucket really. I have brushed him a fair few times though. He wasn't exactly still but definitely enjoyed it. I just loved the mad charge round the garden after - wonder why they do that, he's not exactly elegant and it was so funny.

19. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

I can't remember bathing our dogs much when we where children. ;D

20. David

David Registered Users

I used to have a Border Terrier years ago. He never got a bath and boy was he smelly! :eek: