Our first night... ups and downs...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Well it's 6.20am and I'm downstairs with Bob. He crashed out early at 9pm so my boyfriend and I went up to sleep. I set my alarm for midnight and came back down. Bob had soiled his crate with a really wet poop and a pee (upset tummy perhaps?) Anyway I removed the blanket where the offence had taken place and threw it straight in the washing machine. I did take him out but he didn't need to go after that - for obvious reasons. Put a warmed hot water bottle wrapped in a towel back in with him, said good night and came upstairs. I would say he cried for about 1/2hr after I left but eventually settled.

Boyfriend came down again at 3am, no idea what happened then but the crate was as I left it.. so don't think there were anymore accidents.

I came down at 6am and again I don't think any accidents (it's hard to tell with grey vetbed if he's peed...) Took him outside and he peed. He's now bounding around my feet and being generally very cute!

All in all I think a successful first night. He wasn't in our bedroom we left him in his crate downstairs, we just felt that would be better as I co-sleep with my little boy and we didn't want him disturbed. So I took a baby monitor up. I don't think I slept a wink last night, I was too worried about more accidents... the unknown etc. Hopefully I'll manage to sleep tonight!

Lou x

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: Our first night... ups and downs...

Morning! That doesn't sound so bad for a first night. He can be excused for his accident I think. I have always gone to bed as late as possible, last pee and poo at 11 then sleep until about 5.30, gradually extending the wake up times. It is tiring to start with but doesn't take long before you find your own pattern. I suppose you won't be able to snooze when your puppy does, having a young child. Good luck! Have a lovely day with your new pup!

3. Loopyloo30

Yes I guess I didn't realise that we would get a poo so late on at night, I thought it was only after eating.

So tonight like you said I think I will stay up until 11pm... do potty.. then we'll set our night alarm for 3am again... and maybe 6.30am tomorrow. Does that sound about right do you think?!

He's just fallen asleep on my lap bless him, makes me think he could go a bit longer asleep...(which is encouraging lol!) Gotta love a sleepy puppy!

Lou x

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

We go to bed about midnight so that's when Willow goes to her crate, too. If she's already asleep then we wake her to go to the loo and have a little play before bed. She's now up to 3hours 45 mins before I take her out (we started at 2hrs 30 and increase 15 mins each night, so 4 hours tonight!) and has never soiled her crate. But it sounds to me as if it may be a bit of a stress poo if it was runny. I'm sure he'll firm up and be able to make through those few hours once he's properly settled.

I know for me living with occasional insomnia means I don't really get fazed by the sleep issues - if you have a young child I guess you're used to broken sleep, too!

Good luck with your first full day with Bob!

5. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I would have bed time at 11 or if you are up later do a toilet before you head for bed, then it's up to you. It's early days so you might put in a toilet break in the night for peace of mind or maybe just for a week. I didn't but got up about 5.15 then gradually lengthened it without any crate accidents. The runny poo could just be the whole trauma of the move and maybe being on his own or even change of water. My pup had a wobbly tummy to start with. Just keep an eye on that. You are probably seeing the vet shortly so just put it on the list of questions! Lots of new puppy owners get up in the night though. Well done and take some photos to look back on. :)

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like it went pretty well. I'm sure you'll settle on a workable routine :) Bob probably got a lot more sleep last night than you did :)

Have a fun day together!

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=Loopyloo30 link=topic=8236.msg116382#msg116382 date=1413179107]
    Gotta love a sleepy puppy!

Lou x
    [/quote]

After a fortnight with Pongo I decided that the most beautiful sound in the world is a snoring puppy.

8. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Sounds like he was a lil bit stressed about his change of location, dont worry too much I am sure he will settle into a routine soon.

All in all sounds like a good first night.

9. cubby

cubby Registered Users

Our pup had 4 nights where she woke around midnight and 3am, then 2 nights when she woke at just around 3am, then the past 3 nights she has slept from about 10pm till 6:30am. No accidents in the crate so far and her bedtime crate that is up in our bedroom is huge.

10. Loopyloo30

Would you generally wait until they are making a noise at night before going down? Or wake them up at a set time to go?

Lou x

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sounds like a pretty good first night (apart from the accident) :)
    Everyone is different, some people set alarms to take pup out, but myself, I waited until I heard her, waited until she was quiet, then went down. She was sleeping 11pm-7am within 2 weeks :)

12. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I get up at 7am when the heating turns on (clanking pipes & whatnot). When I go down Bouncer is usualy waiting patiantly in his crate to be let out into the garden.

I didnt do anything special to train him, it just kinda happened.

13. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Sounds like a good first night! As others have said the accident over night with the loose poo could just be the stress of being in a new home so I wouldn't worry about that too much. If he continues to poo overnight I would take a look at what time you give him his last meal, and does he have any food after that? Is he having the time to empty himself before being put to bed?

When we first got Penny we would put her to bed at 11 and then I would get up at 5am. We did this for a week but we continued to have accidents over night so I introduced a 3am toilet trip and them didn't get up until 6-6:30 (normal time for work). After a few days of 3am I made each middle of the night toilet trip later by 10-15 minutes each night until we got to about 4:30. Then I started getting up at 5:30 and gradually lengthened that until my normal getting up time. It took a few weeks but this seemed to work well for us.