1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Our first UKC hunt test

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Valkyrie, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Registered Users

Last weekend was Legend's and my first UKC /HRC hunt test. Oh it was a cold wet weekend. I was frozen but had fun. Legend did fantastic on Saturday. marked his birds and brought them right back. I was so proud of him. We got a pass on Saturday. Sunday....well let just say my boy decided to play some. He marked the first bird on the water took the long way back to deliver it. The second mark beautifully done. Okay on to land. Here he did the first mark perfect straight out straight back. I thought YES!! we have this. No no no Legend had to prove me wrong. he nailed the second mark but did not want to give his bird. carried it around prancing and acting cute. It was kind of cute but the judges said no he played to long before bringing it to me. Well it was a good learning experience I know what we need to work on. We have a another test at the end of the month. I hope we get 2 passes there then I only need one pass for his SHR title.

QuinnM15, Anne123, Beanwood and 5 others like this.
  2. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks for sharing that experience!

I shall look forward to reading about your next test :)

Valkyrie likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done!
    I bet you are proud of him.
    And of yourself of course! Sounds like pretty decent success for a first test :)

Valkyrie likes this.
  4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Your post was interesting to read as well as showing that dogs will do their own thing at times, but that is what makes life more interesting:D

I believe your tests are quite different to our ones here. Yours is very much in going out in straight lines with no deviation? Look forward to hearing more.

Valkyrie and selina27 like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Well done Legend, and I am sure next time he will nail all the tasks on both days. It's a lot to ask of young dogs, to be calm and concentrated for all that time, no wonder he lost the plot for a short time!

Valkyrie likes this.
  6. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Well done Legend! That sounds really interesting and would love to hear more about your tests. I agree, it is really a lot to ask of young dogs, so he really exceptionally well. Bramble tends to get a bit over-excited as the day goes on, then it all goes rather to pot! Still a bit of maturing methinks!

7. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Registered Users

Around here my family is the minority in not using e-collars and force fetch. Legend loves what he does and looks forward to every adventure. I have one lab that hates it and we do dock jumping instead cause that is what he likes. I am hoping that Legend and I will get our SHR this year and next year or HR and then at age 3 he will go for HRC( Hunting Retriever Champion). It is asking a lot of a dog and I want to move at Legends pace not what I would like to see cause then it is fun for either of us. I would love to hear about some of your tests.

Stacia likes this.