Outdoor potty area

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by knees78, Sep 11, 2016.

1. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

is it possible to make an outdoor potty area either grass or gravel and teach them to use it.

A friend popped round yesterday and she was saying her mum has one of these and I thought it was brilliant. No searching the garden for poos when she is bigger and I've stopped following her everywhere.

Plus a safe place that the kids won't go on. I also look after my nephew and niece 3 days a week (nephew 2 days 7 months and niece 1 day who is 16 months) and at some point they'll be crawling around the grass.

2. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Ps just upgraded my account. So I will upload pics shortly.

snowbunny likes this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, all Guide Dogs have these as their owners can't see where they have been. We train them to use a spending area from the day the pups arrive.

It doesn't work unless it's fenced off tho.

Mine is right outside the door just because it's easier.

I swill every wee with a bio solution - no smell at all.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here is a photo of our spending pen.

The reward for using it is being allowed to go and play in the garden.

:)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

We made homer a toilet. It's a wooden frame and base made out of decking planks filled with wood chip. The wood chip makes it easy to pick up poop, even the more swishy ones as I just scoop up all the dirty chips. We hose it out and change the wood hip every now and then.

As a puppy we encouraged him to poop and pee there but he prefers to pee in the bamboo plants. We had it close to the back door at first but it's now down the side of the house.

I'll take a photo.

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Here it is, square about 3'x3' would work better as he sometimes misses over the side.

Attached Files:

7. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Was thinking something like this with gravel but guessing she may prefer to poo on the grass.

Does he use it now he is an adult? At the moment I'm watching her like a hawk and picking it up straight away or memorizing he location of the nighttime ones when I'm half asleep! So I'm not too worried at the moment although it is really loose so picking grass and have bald patches.

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

We had one for our previous dogs and put bark chippings down.

Must say you will have your hands full with your children and niece, nephew and puppy:)

9. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Love love the yellow one face haha x

10. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

@Stacia tell me about it. I've had my niece on a Friday since she was a baby but I only found out o was having my nephew on Thursday.

It's going to be crazy as my daughter starts part time school on Monday so have loads of different timings to figure out. I only have the little ones in the morning so have a couple of hours over lunchtime to focus just on storm x

Stacia likes this.
  11. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer us 4 and still uses his toilet for his morning poop, and then he poops on his walk. He always chooses to go in the leafy undergrowth away from the path. I suppose he relates the texture to where he learnt to go as a pup. He's never pooped on a path or on on open patch of grass. He can be quite picky about finding the right spot.