Over-excited Puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LukeD1357, Apr 5, 2014.

1. LukeD1357

LukeD1357 Registered Users

Hello everyone,

I have a 9 week old Labrador puppy, Charlie, who is very excited around my other dog, an 8 year old Jack Russell Terrier, TJ. When Charlie is excited she tends to scratch and bite TJ on her face (not aggressively, but playfully), but TJ is scared by this and will either run away or be aggressive towards Charlie and growl at her. Should I encourage the growling when Charlie is being too rough so she learns not to or should I try and calm the puppy? (which I have heard is nearly impossible with Lab pups). When Charlie isn't excited (which is rare) they get on okay, they sniff at eachother and TJ shows no aggression, it is only when Charlie scratches or bites.

Thanks in advance.

P.S Charlie stays in her crate at night and when she is asleep and is in a separate room most of the time with the use of a stair gate to separate them, but I want them to get on so I thought having them together for short bursts would acclimatize them to eacthother.

2. LukeD1357

Re: Over-excited Puppy

If it makes a difference they are both female. And once TJ has growled Charlie will stop and stand dead still wagging her tail and then wait 10 seconds and go back to scratching and biting TJ

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum to you and another Charlie :), Hattie 6 years old and our rescue Charlie. Someone with experience will come along and advise you on how to deal with this so don't worry. Hope you enjoy this lovely forum. Helen x

4. LukeD1357

thank you for the very warm welcome! :)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Luke, I've had a similar experience with an old dog and a puppy. I found it was really important to protect the old boy from the rambunctious puppy, and to make sure he had his safe places to go and escape. He was terrifically good tempered and long suffering - but not all dogs are, and you don't want the growling to get out of hand and for TJ to actually bite your puppy. Make lots of fuss of your old dog, and spend time alone with her as well. Try to bring the two together when nice things are happening - for instance, a short play in the garden when the puppy has lots to do and sniff at and not just obsess about the older dog. Also, my two very quickly started cuddling up together for sleeping, which they both very much enjoyed. Once the needle sharp teeth come out (at about 16 weeks), things will probably get a lot easier. Mine were firm friends by the time the pup was around five months old.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tatze was great with our 15 year old Cavalier - but she did tend to play with his bed, so we had an 'upstairs downstairs' approach. We always let Gavin put her in her place as his old bones were very fragile and he couldn't play, much as he would have liked to. When she was good he let her in his bed :) But if she moved a paw he saw her off. I think he taught her excellent doggy manners - and she livened up his final months no end, when he had been missing his brother terribly (RIP both lovely boys)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Mags, what an excellent idea I love the 'upstairs, downstairs'. You must miss your boys terribly :'( x

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, I do - here they are with my son, Gavin always sat on top of the setee, so being upstairs was fine by him :)

[​IMG]

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aww they are beautiful, what a lovely picture :). My friend had two beautiful Cavaliers that sadly passed away and she now has a Great Dane and a Golden Retriever, but her heart is firmly with the Cavaliers and she is thinking of getting one when the time is right. Thanks for sharing your lovely memories :) x

10. LukeD1357

Thanks Karen, we do try and protect TJ from Charlie but she is just so excited and jumpy. The garden idea is a good one, when Charlie is more distracted. And thanks for sharing Boogie, if only Charlie would learn, whenever TJ growls at her to stop she just carries on after a short while.

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome :)

I can't help as Harley is my first pup :)

Do you have any photos of Charlue and TJ??