Over excited when people visit

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Bodhisimpson, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Bodhisimpson

Bodhisimpson Registered Users

Hello
    We have a 2 year old lab who is very gentle but very rude when it comes to visitors. He completly looses all control of himself and will dance (yes dance - we call it his hula hoop dance as his front paws are on the floor but his back legs are jumping all over the place).
    when people enter our home he does this and will rush up to them. He never jumps up but he is very strong and not everyone likes a dog rushing up to them that way. We have tried to ask guests to ignore him as this does send him the message that they are not interested in him and he will back off but this is after his atempt for attention. We have also tried removing his attention away from them. This works but as soon as I return to our guests he's off at it again.
    We would like help so that he doesn't behave all silly and crazy. He is a very tall lab and often his size and this behaviour are the last thing a guest wants. I know we don't like it.
    Any ideas.?
    All other commands he's generally good with. We have the odd situation with him running up to other dogs and people if off
    lead. He always comes back but can loose all ability to follow command to come and heel.
    All and any ideas would be great. Thanks.

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, my 5 year old is just the same!

She simply adores people and always knows when we are preparing for visitors, so gets excited ahead of time too, watching out for them.

I have a short lead which I attach to her collar, short enough to leave dangling or tuck in her collar. I hold it when they arrive, give her a Kong then hold it any time she gets re-excited (which she does as soon as the visitor gives her any attention). The best visitors just ignore her and she’s fine, but some just have to stroke her - and who can blame them :)

981B24AC-CB19-4F16-85E4-4B27D0674D47.jpeg

Bodhisimpson, selina27 and Naya like this.