Pack leader?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Widgeon, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

A strange question but something which I have wanted to get straight in my own mind.

I know some aspects of the dominance/leader have been proven to be false but I believe it's still important to the dogs wellbeing and training for him to respect me as leader.

What signs or characteristics should I see to be sure this is the case?
    I guess at 7mths he'll be naturally challenging this for a while yet?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Pack leader?

I'm not sure. After reading "in defence of dogs" I'm pretty convinced that all this pack leader stuff is nonsense too, although I know others think differently. I think being calm, clear and consistent helps - no harm in thinking of those as "leadership" characteristics if it suits though.

I got an answer on the forum about teenagers, which made perfect sense - if I remember, it was Kate that delivered the bad (in a way) news to me. It's not that they are teenagers going through a "phase". It's just that they are not dependent little puppies anymore. So the teenage thing doesn't wear off. This was helpful to me, in that it made me think hard about what I was doing, and doubling my training efforts.

Although, having said that, tell me this isn't the look of a stroppy teenager (Charlie at 8 months)! ;D ;D ;D

[​IMG]
    15 October 13 - becoming a teenager... by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hum , a toughy . I dont hold with the pack leader stuff at all , what I wanted to acheive was a dog who was obedient because he wanted to do my bidding, wanted to please me as a way of showing his bonding . I do firmly believe that training is the key from an early age, nothing aggressive and short bursts rather than prolonged periods , masses of praise ( and treats ) when it goes well and when it doesnt , well tomorrow is another day :) :)
    To me, a dog who watches me for intructions,commands or encouragement is all I want , it takes time, patience and repetition but is so well worth the effort .
    Our little rescue girl has been a challenge , she had obviously had little previous training and, at around 7 years of age, it was back to basics with her , she probably wont ever achieve the same level of obedience and response that I have with Sam, but again, its well worth every minute of training :)

4. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

To me you and your dog form a bond that is more akin to a family group. Its a fine line between what it means to be a pack leader and what it means to have a dog that wants to be with you. Now according to books such as the culture crisis the dog is not with you because he loves you etc etc but purely because you take him where he wants to go, feed him, fuss him etc

So its hard not to put human emotions onto your dog but most evidence suggests they just don't get it. The dog owner that thinks his dog is working just to please him is mean to be living a lie, the dog is hoping for a reward for his work and that's why they perform.

5. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

[quote author=TeamGSP link=topic=3700.msg41725#msg41725 date=1387295517]
    To me you and your dog form a bond that is more akin to a family group.
    [/quote]

I think the family group me and Widgeon are akin to could be the Osbournes!!

6. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

[quote author=Widgeon link=topic=3700.msg41728#msg41728 date=1387297130]
    [quote author=TeamGSP link=topic=3700.msg41725#msg41725 date=1387295517]
    To me you and your dog form a bond that is more akin to a family group.
    [/quote]

I think the family group me and Widgeon are akin to could be the Osbournes!!
    [/quote]

As long as its not the Manson family you are ok lol :)

7. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Widgeon link=topic=3700.msg41722#msg41722 date=1387291667]

I know some aspects of the dominance/leader have been proven to be false but I believe it's still important to the dogs wellbeing and training for him to respect me as leader.

What signs or characteristics should I see to be sure this is the case?

[/quote]

If you spot this sort of sign you know you are in trouble. ;) :eek: ;D
    [​IMG]

Alice is a middle aged lady and not a teenager, so I can't use that as an excuse. :p ::)

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

It's the cheeky girls ! ;D

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=3700.msg41724#msg41724 date=1387294606]
    Hum , a toughy . I dont hold with the pack leader stuff at all , what I wanted to acheive was a dog who was obedient because he wanted to do my bidding, wanted to please me as a way of showing his bonding . I do firmly believe that training is the key from an early age, nothing aggressive and short bursts rather than prolonged periods , masses of praise ( and treats ) when it goes well and when it doesnt , well tomorrow is another day :) :)
    To me, a dog who watches me for intructions,commands or encouragement is all I want , it takes time, patience and repetition but is so well worth the effort .
    Our little rescue girl has been a challenge , she had obviously had little previous training and, at around 7 years of age, it was back to basics with her , she probably wont ever achieve the same level of obedience and response that I have with Sam, but again, its well worth every minute of training :)
    [/quote]

I couldn't agree more Kate, we have the same with our rescue Charlie, he will never be perfect but we keep training and it's really worth it to see him progress :)