Paracord dog collar

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Puppypal, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Dad has just ordered the bits and pieces needed to make a paracord dog collar for barley, puzzle will get one when she is fully grown. We saw some of these at a show not long ago, so decided to have a go and make some ourselves, once his collar has been made he will also get matching leads ( training, normal and possibly a short one if enough cord left over) Paracord is extremely strong, one strand can hold up to 550 pounds, so well suited to barley. He needs a new collar anyway so we want to make one instead of buying one. The link below shows you how to make your own collar http://paracordcentral.org/paracord-projects/paracord-dog-collar-instructions/

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Paracord dog collar

Hmm..
    Interesting - just like scoobie-making ;D

3. Puppypal

basically yes, there are different types of knot that you can use but the most common one is the cobra one. It will keep me busy for the rest of the school holidays anyway :p

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Our holidays are well over :(
    I think Sophie might like to have a go at this. I am looking for a new collar at the moment but not found the right colour. I am drawn to a lovely Berry one made by Trixie just now but not pressed the button yet! Have to investigate the paracord :)
    x

5. Puppypal

Paracord comes in loads of different colours, you can make the collar to what you like. barley's is having a check chain put on his as his normal collar has one, but his normal collar is on its last legs. I still have a week and a half of holidays left

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I was only looking at these yesterday, the only problem is they are not adjustable so when Hattie is clipped the collar would be too large, but Charlie could have one. Do you think they would be comfy though? Jac I remember scoobies, Grace made key rings etc. we had them coming out of our ears ;D Helen x

7. Puppypal

The cord is very soft on your hand so it would say yes to them being comfy, for barley he is a strange dog, he has a massive head but a really small neck so slip half check collars are useless to him as he can back out of them, so he has to have buckle ones, which are a rarity to find unless they are leather

8. Puppypal

We have almost received all of the stuff to make our first collar, we have the cord and his half check chain part, just waiting for the d-rings and the buckles, the d-rings should arrive tommorow and the buckles on saturday so the collar would probably have been made by sunday evening, we have got a dog show on sunday but that is only 1 til 4 so only a half day one, so i have sunday morning free to make it ;D, i am so exited, i practiced the knot today on some shoe laces and it turned out very well :D

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

When I was in the park yesterday a girl mentioned para cord and did I think there would be a market for her doing bespoke collars in dubai....i dont know but it was funny that I'd heard it mentioned twice recently,pop a pic up when you have finished it...well done with you knot practice x

10. Puppypal

i will post a pic when it is done, my friend has already said she wants one after i have made barley's so its only a matter of time ;)

11. Puppypal

Well it is half made at the moment, as the clips arrived earlier than expected and the D-rings are late, but the half that does not have the D-ring on it has been made,it was very easy and great fun, i will post a pic later, as i have some more of puzzle to post as well :)

12. Puppypal

His collar is finished now, i will upload the photos tommorow, it looks really good and it fits him well, our next project is to make a lead to match the collar :)

13. Puppypal

Here are some photo's of the finished product

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well done!
    Its nice to have something unique for your dog. 8)

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

It looks great,well done x

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That looks very smart! Nice work :)

17. Puppypal

Next project is working on his lead, dad has just got to order some other bits then i can get started, he needs a new lead anyway as the clip on his current one has come loose, so i want to make one instead of buying one :).

The collar took me about 3/4 hour to make, but the lead will take probably a couple of days to complete, i can't wait to get started ;D

18. Puppypal

Well last night was quite manic as we had to source a new lead for puzzle because she chewed staright through her other one :mad:

So in the end i had to make one out of paracord, it turned out really well considering i was making this at 11 last night, i will post pictures of it later :)

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear! Was it your paracord one she chewed through :eek:
    Or had you not made that one yet, just the collar?

20. Puppypal

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=2377.msg25815#msg25815 date=1379255523]
    Oh dear! Was it your paracord one she chewed through :eek:
    Or had you not made that one yet, just the collar?
    [/quote]

No, she chewed through a normal lead