Pee pad training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Finn's Mom, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Registered Users

Hello, I am new to the forum and a new puppy owner. We have a 7 week old lab retriever mix named Finnley. Because we work and have many stairs that he can't do right now, we decided to train him on pee pads. He is doing really well with this. As he gets older we want to transition to outdoor training. So my question is, when do we start with outdoor training? Should we be doing both now or will that confuse him? Thank you Mel

Mckalesmom likes this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello, and welcome to the forum!
    I don't think a lot of us on here have used the Pee pads (other than for wiping up pee!) I can appreciate why you might want to try them. They are often a handy chew/rip up item for pups :D
    I'm not one of the training experts, but I would start the outdoor training now - a super-good and exciting treat/reward/fuss for toileting outside from as soon as possible.
    Remember to clear up all pee in your home with something like Simple Solution to make sure you remove all traces of pee smell.
    Hope someone else can give you some more detailed advice - several members have had a similar issue to overcome!
    jac

3. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Registered Users

Thanks for the info. I don't want to confuse him by doing both.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I use pee pads, cut in four, for cleaning up accidents - excellent.

They are OK to use for the pup to pee on for a few days but the pup soon starts to rip them up - and if the pup is alone they could be a hazard if swallowed.

I always use the usual method - which is really well described here - https://www.thelabradorsite.com/house-training-your-labrador-puppy/

:)

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I never used them either, mainly because it seemed to me to be a confusion to a puppy , giving permission to toilet indoors and then having to break that habit to transition to outside x

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I found them useful for old leaky dogs. I used to put one in Doug's bed it helped in his leaky old again. Puppies just eat them :D