Peeing and Making Direct Eye Contact INSIDE

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Aug 24, 2017.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Hi everyone, so I thought that we had Aspen's peeing and pooing mostly under control, don't want to be the person that says their 4 month old is COMPLETELY potty trained, but I thought he was doing very well.

Anyways, I am the person who does most of Aspen's care-taking. I groom him, clip his nails, I give him his kibbles, refill his water dish, bathe him, etc. Not to say that my boyfriend does not take care of him but I have done a great deal of caring for Aspen since day one and we have a bit of a stronger bond (Aspen does recall for me but not really my boyfriend).

A couple nights ago, my boyfriend went to tuck Aspen and came back and told me that Aspen peed in his kennel! All while making direct eye contact, oh no! (I probably would have giggle a little). It happened again today, Aspen was at the top of the basement stairs and as my boyfriend was walking up, Aspen did the eye contact and peeing again.

Does Aspen do it to get more attention from my boyfriend? Or do dogs not think that way? I am just so confused because Aspen does not do this for me. Aspen does get attention from my boyfriend, every single day, before he leaves for work in the morning and in the evenings when we are all home together. Like I said, I am just the one who does most of the "puppy care".

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I'd like to add that Aspen also gets plenty of time outside to go potty, as he barks at the door to let us know that he needs to go.

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Aspen is only 16 weeks old, although he is on the way to becoming toilet trained, there still will invariably be accidents.

Accidents though will slightly older puppies are more likely with over excitement/stress...you know the thing, running around having zoomies, and then oops! A wee on the carpet. :)

What seems to be happening from your post, is that you are really taking excellent care of Aspen, and he in turn, has a clear understanding of what to expect from you, that's great! :) What Aspen is not so clear on, is possibly you boyfriend. He probably does things a bit differently to you. Aspen may be a tiny bit unsure. On top of that I really wouldn't recommend you boyfriend making such direct eye contact..it could make Aspen feel uncomfortable. Of course coupled with a cheerful smile, an upbeat tone, eye contact is great! Just be a bit careful on the context.

If there is more that one carer involved with your puppy, you need to make sure you are both singing from the same hymnbook, and that is easier said than done..boy there have been some interesting threads involving OH's and training! I am often amazed that my dogs learn anything at all! But that's another story :). You can signpost your partner to the various puppy articles on the forum, instead of telling him yourself..., or course the is always the excellent Happy Puppy Handbook. :)

alschwahn likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Kate has give you excellent advice. Don't read too much into the eye contact thing; it was originally thought to be a sign of the dog being dominant, but, as we all know, those ideas have been debunked now. Dogs often look at their owners while going to the toilet; one explanation I've heard offered is that it is because the dog is quite vulnerable when "going", and so facing towards someone else offers them protection; the dog can look outwards while you keep watch behind him.

alschwahn likes this.
  4. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

@Beanwood Okay thank you so much for the reply! I try to get them to spend time together but it is hard with the different schedules sometimes. Maybe I will try to get him to walk Aspen more and do some training with him. I should also probably add that it's not like my boyfriend gets mad at Aspen or is aggressive towards him, he is just confused on why Aspen pees with him around but not with me...he just chalked it up to Aspen being a momma's boy. But I will try to remind him to spend quality time with Aspen. Thanks guys!