Peeing in sleep

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by tahlia, Nov 27, 2014.

1. tahlia

tahlia Registered Users

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a problem with Max. The last couple of nights I've noticed woken up to find that he's peed in his doggy bed. He sleeps in his bed on the floor of my room (he prefers this rather than sleeping on my bed). I always take him out to do his business before I go to bed and also in the morning at 4:30-5:00AM. When he was younger I had a pee pad there every night but he rarely used it and was pretty good through the night, so i decided not to bother with it. Something I also noticed this morning - I lifted Max onto my bed after I'd put him out for a wee and he curled up and only a few moments later he got up and started sniffing around, crying and fretting and that's when I'd noticed he had peed! He hadn't got to sleep yet, but was just laying down and seemed to have no control over his bladder. He does drink ALOT of water. For now I'm going to start putting the pee pad down through the night and see if he's still doing it in his bed. I might also set an alarm and take him out in the middle of the night, but usually he sleeps through the whole night. Is this just a puppy thing or should I be worried? Off to wash my freshly washed doona and sheets again while Max chews happily on his toys. ::)

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Peeing in sleep

Poor little man and poor you...not fun to be cleaning up wee all the time! I would be off to the vet on this one. Might be a urinary tract infection. Best to rule out a physical problem.

Hope he is ok. Let us know how it goes :)

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I agree with Rachel. Best to get checked with the vets as doesn't sound right. Let us know how he is x

4. tahlia

tahlia Registered Users

Thank you, I'll be calling the vets today. I'll let you know how things go xx

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hope the vet visit helps.

6. lunasmama

lunasmama Registered Users

I wish I had read this before! I just posted a similar thread. Our lab Luna likes to pee in her bed while she's napping, but she doesn't ever do that when she's sleeping overnight. We have no idea why, but we do her making noises, and making sudden moves sometimes during her naps. We assume she's sleeping...... but maybe we need to get with our vet and see what he recommends. She'll do big pees in her bed during her naps and everything.

7. Oberon

Definitely worth checking out with the vet, Lunasmama :)

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=lunasmama link=topic=8928.msg127294#msg127294 date=1417210348]
    I wish I had read this before! I just posted a similar thread. Our lab Luna likes to pee in her bed while she's napping, but she doesn't ever do that when she's sleeping overnight. We have no idea why, but we do her making noises, and making sudden moves sometimes during her naps. We assume she's sleeping...... but maybe we need to get with our vet and see what he recommends. She'll do big pees in her bed during her naps and everything.
    [/quote]
    ha - just replied to your one!
    Yep, vet check :)

9. tahlia

tahlia Registered Users

Hi all! I'm sorry it's been so long since i posted. This seems so long ago now haha, I ended up calling the vets and the lady said to keep a close eye on him and just bring him in when I had my next appointment which was in a few days and by the time the appointment came around he wasn't doing this at all anymore! I haven't had any problems with him since and he's now such a good boy he lets me know when he wants to go outside to wee! Rarely ever any accidents :)

10. Oberon

Great news :)