Peeing Puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Chad Gossett, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Chad Gossett

Chad Gossett Registered Users

We have had many breeds of dogs and when I was a child years ago I had a lab puppy but about 5 months ago we got a 3 month old lab/mix name Gemma we had no problems kennel or house training. So we decide since our two year old Dachshund was getting enough of this 50 lb puppy playing with her we would get a Chocolate lab we found one we liked and went and got her at 6 weeks " Yes I know they should stay with mom to at-least 8 weeks but lady wouldn't hold her and had people wanting her" we have had her a week and she pees none stop sometimes big puddles sometimes little puddles its back to back. She goes quit a bit in here kennel at night and during the day to. Has anyone else had this issue ?

2. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum from 2 year old Molly and me.

I got Molly at 8 weeks and she was still pretty much a peeing machine. Your pup is still very much a baby and simply doesn't have any control of her bladder or bowels.

You will need to take her outside every 20 minutes or so so she can pee/poo and praise her mightily when she does so. Give her a command, Molly's is "be clean", and use as she is peeing and then treat her. She will soon get the message. Never punish her when she doesn't perform.

Toilet training a pup isn't difficult, you just need to be consistent and dedicated. There are no short cuts. The more frequently you take her outside and give her the chance to get it right, the quicker she will get the message.

Molly figured out what I wanted at about 10 weeks, got more reliable over the next 2 weeks and i think she was about 14 weeks when she had her last accident in the house.

Make sure you clean up any accidents with a proper enzyme cleaner, like Simple Solution. You may think you have cleaned properly with an ordinary household detergent, but there will be a slight whiff, undetectable to the human nose that says "this is the place to pee" to a pup and they will.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If she really is constantly urinating back to back, then a trip to the vet might be advisable, just to see if she has cystitis, though I don't know if pups can get that? Otherwise the advice above should do the trick, she is still very young and will have no control over her bladder yet but will soon learn.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Just to say hi and welcome to the forum. Agree with all the good advice above, if in doubt a trip to the vet is very worth while.

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, welcome to the forum and let us know how you get on with your little one.

7. Chad Gossett

Chad Gossett Registered Users

Past two days seem to have been doing better. I have read were people only give water when feeding is this right we have always left water down. Like I said we have had dog's all my life especially labs. My grandfather breed and trained labs for trials and duck hunting but they where all outside kennels. Thanks for all the welcomes I have enjoyed reading all yalls inputs on different things.

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I would never restrict access to water for a puppy or an adult (pre-op requirements excluded). A puppy can dehydrate very quickly, far better to allow them to drink what they want and when. I refresh Juno's water every couple of hours during the day, as a minimum, and whenever I've seen or heard her drinking

kateincornwall likes this.
  9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I agree with Rosemary , water available at all times , unless instructed otherwise by a Vet .

10. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

A pups bladder is really tiny, especially at the age your pup is now so it really is a case of taking her outside every 20 minutes, after waking, after eating and after playing. She will soon get the hang of it.
    Having said that I had awful problems housetraining Penny when we first got her, she was literally weeing every ten minutes or so. We took her to the vet and it turns out she had a urine infection. She must have had it all along because her housetraining was drastically improved once she finished her antibiotics. So just something to keep in mind if you don't feel like you're making any progress.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  11. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Just saying hi and welcome. Great advice already given.