Pet Insurance.... Thoughts for a lab puppy and which one

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Murphys Mom, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Murphys Mom

Murphys Mom Registered Users

Hi all! Happy Holidays. This is my first post! I have a 4 month old chocolate lab puppy. I am debating whether to get pet insurance. Do you all have it and if so, which insurance provider do you have? There are so many to choose from. I never got pet insurance with my previous dogs but I never had a full bread lab like I do now. Just wondering what the rest of you do! Im in the states. Not sure if that matters or not! Thanks in advance

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Like all insurance it’s there for the bigger unexpected bills that you may not have savings for.
    You probably wouldn’t claim for minor problems unless you had zero excess as the excess is often more than the bill.
    From experience we would be £15000 out of pocket without our insurance policy and Toby is just 3.
    If you buy, shop around and go for Lifetime insurance.
    We are with The Insurance Emporium and still only pay £35 pm even after renewal and having claimed.
    The other way is to save the monthly premium religiously in a separate savings pot.

3. Murphys Mom

Murphys Mom Registered Users

Thank you! I appreciate your response. Very helpful :)

4. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

pet insurance is similar to an extended warranty when you buy a car, dishwasher, frig, etc. It may give you some peace of mind but rarely will you cover its cost. What they are is incredibly profitable to the insurer provider. You will have normal expenses with your puppy -annual checkups, blood work--that prob won't meet your deductible anyway. Pulling cracked teeth, blocked bowel stomach surgery from chewing and eating sticks and rocks, fixing torn joint tendons or broken bones can cost thousands. I say budget an amount monthly, hide it away, and don't buy insurance. If nothing happens then you've got a nice chunk of change to take a nice vacation or buy another dog.