Pet insurance UK

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Izzy87, Apr 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Izzy87

Izzy87 Registered Users

Hi all,

Can anyone from the UK recommend an insurance company? My black lab is 9 years old and our current policy has just gone up to over £60 per month! I want to shop around and find a good policy, but hopefully cheaper.

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi Izzy and welcome. I don't have pet insurance for my girl, or my cats, but that's along story. From previous discussions regarding pet insurance Forum members use Pet Plan, John Lewis Insurance, Tesco, Marks & Spencer and numerous others. It's probably better to use one of the comparison websites on the web but from my understanding is that many insurers won't issue new policies for animals over 8 years of age, and those that do increase the premiums. One thing to be careful of is that a new policy will most likely exclude any current, or recent health conditions your dog may have.

3. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Have a look at www.lifetimepetcover.co.uk They're a new company that will take on old dogs with the added bonus of re-instating a pre existing condition if it's shown no symptoms or had any treatment for 24 months. I've put my 9yr old Pointer with them on their £4000 per year policy (there's other choices) and it works out at £27 per month. I also had a claim a few months back and they paid out within a week. So far I'm very happy with them.:)

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I looked at them earlier this year because of the pre-existing condition but still have another year to go before they will consider Juno. The price they quoted for my cats was much the same as other insurers though.

5. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hi Izzy, have you asked your current insurers what the monthly premium would be if you changed the excess level on your policy? I found that made a difference when the renewal was due for one of mine - and again it was going to be over £60 per month!

6. Izzy87

Izzy87 Registered Users

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have tried compared the market but also would like people's recommendations. The only thing my Charlie suffers from are recurring ear infections, but we have never claimed for that from the insurer. He also had a sensitive stomach, but doesn't require meds or anything.

7. Izzy87

Izzy87 Registered Users

Just been on their website and it does seem to be quite a lot cheaper!

8. Izzy87

Izzy87 Registered Users

I think my other half got annoyed with them on the phone and told them he's leaving lol :) We are with direct line and i checked on the web that if I was registering with them for the first time the policy would be a lot cheaper, but the renewal is stupid money!