pet insurance - whose best?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Jul 8, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

we just got our lab hes 8 months, now i need insurance, ive always used petplan for the cat, but whose best for dogs? also ive been told to go for life cover rather than a 12 month cover is this the best option?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: pet insurance - whose best?

I am in Australia but we have PetPlan. My advice is to go for life cover and take it out ASAP before you have any problems or any vet visits. If you have noticed any health or physical issues or they've been checked by a vet and you take out insurance after then the insurer may exclude the offending body parts from coverage.

Totally agree with getting insurance, whoever you go with. Medical procedures can cost a bomb these days. We have gone for a high excess to lower the annual premium a bit as we intend it to be a back-up for any major, major expenses, rather than having it to cover every little thing.

3. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Life cover means that if your dog is found to have a life time condition you will still be covered when you renew the policy next year. 12 months means anything claimed for in that policy duration, won't then be covered next time you renew. If it's only pennies difference, I'd choose life time cover every time.

Having said that we 'self insure'. I put a set amount away every month, same as I would pay insurance premium every month for each dog. I've got it on standing order (otherwise it just wouldn't get done). If anything happens the money is there to deal with it. This has the risk that you may need to use it when there's not enough money there. On the other hand you could pay for insurance for years, and never need it fingers crossed.

Not trying to deter you from buying insurance, just saying there are options, if you're resolute not to touch it for other things!

When we did insure with a company we used marks and spencer, good cover, but got very expensive when we renewed.

4. blackjack

thanks for the replies, i wish i could put money away but i raided the xmas savings to buy him! so will have to use a "company"

5. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Wonder if you'd get a reduction for insuring a second pet through Pet Plan? If your happy with them.
    I'm basing it on admiral multi car insurance here mind, so I might not be best placed to advise!!

6. blackjack

yes you do on some sites, but mossop is no longer insured as hes too old! so far all my quotes are over £20 a month, ive looked at healthy pets, petplan and tesco so far

7. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

hi i use petplan..... not got the life time cover,.....when i renew it , i will take out the lifetime cover.......hope i never have to use it :)

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am very satisfied with Pet Plan. Years ago I did insure a new dog with a different company, not a patch on Pet Plan.

Stacia

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Interesting thread. I've never used pet insurance, but was thinking of looking into it. It is expensive to take a pet to the vet for regular procedures, but thankfully we've never had to do anything major.

10. David

David Registered Users

I use M&S pet insurance.Very good too. Whole life cover and they pay very quickly.

11. blackjack

thanks to everyone who have commented, i think ill go with what i know and use petplan, deffinately worth having insurance as we found out with the cat Mr Nils, he got run over, his bill topped £400 then we got insurance! mossop has a stress dissorder and has cost loads over the last 15 yrs most of his claims being when he was younger.

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Too late I am sure, but deliberated for ages who to go with, read review, forums etc etc.
    Good and bad about all of them.
    We opted in the end for Argos Platinum which is whole life cover.
    Luckily BEFORE she was diagnosed with her hip dysplasia.
    Reasonable costs, and payed out quickly and prompted after our claim when we went for xrays and consulation to the ortho vet. AND premiums stayed the same for the renewals, so far at least!
    Although Lilly is on regular NSAIDs and we take her to hydrotherapy, we don't claim for this - within our means to pay it - and we feel we are "saving up" for the biggy claims when she eventually needs surgery.

jac