Pet Insurance??

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Dec 31, 2014.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Hi, are we allowed to ask for recommendations on here? I've got 4 weeks free cover but having got a quote if I continue it's extortionate .... :-\ So looking at alternatives. I want a reputable company for a fair price.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Pet Insurance??

Pet Plan for us, 2 dogs £520 per year, upto £7,000 vet cover each, any illness for life :)

3. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Yer pet plan are quoting 34 quid a month for covered for life classic, I think in comparison to others that is a lot?!

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's the cheapest we found for 2 dogs so not bad :)

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Yer you got a great deal there ;). Wonder why my quote is lots more. I've heard tesco are good they are quoting 24 ish. My parents only pay 16 with tesco, are puppies always more?!

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hmm don't know, my dogs are not pedigree, I have a Labradoodle and a rescue Lab x Pointer maybe that's why :-\

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Just watch with whatever quote you get that it covers renewal with an existing condition so, for example, if your dog was diagnosed with an ongoing illness in 2015, it would be renewed OK in 2016. Lots of the cheaper ones fall down on this, I believe.

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's a good point Fiona, thankfully nothing here but also watch out for dental, with Pet Plan if my vet doesn't check their teeth and make a note on their records no payment would be made for any dental work needed which I hope never happens. So much to watch out for it's a nightmare.

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Petplan website says they cover up to £7000 vet fees per year. Does anyone know if that is just the consultation fees, or does it also include various medicines etc? In other words, does it cover the cost of regular flea / worm treatments?

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

You have to pay an excess eg the first 100 pounds for any treatment. You would therefore have to buy worming/flea treatments yourself.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I don't know Rosie, I buy all worming and flea treatment online and save a considerable amount of money :)

12. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Recommendations Charlie?? My breeder told me to get milbimax wormer from the vets?

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I buy Drontal and Frontline. Maybe you should stick with what your vet recommends or have a chat with him. Helen

14. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

I use pet protect, spent ages shopping round during the 4 week free period and this was the best policy for the cheapest price, £7000 cover per year with lifetime cover for any illness, £50 excess and £15.88 a month per dog (includes a 10% discount for having two dogs insured) I am about to submit my first claim for
    Barney' xrays yesterday, but when I rang about them they were really helpful and friendly and they do direct vet or bank account payments.

They also cover any breed specific illnesses such as hip dysplasia etc. it doesn't cover worming treatment etc

Lou

15. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Fab thanks Lou they have a good deal on go compare but was worried as I hadn't really heard about them. Sounds good :)

16. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Thanks Claudia, something on my to do list, did you ring them?

17. CDM

CDM Registered Users

No I went on 'go compare' website and they come up, pet protect offer lifetime cover for 18.66 a month, 50 pounds excess and up to 7,000 vet fees. Only thing is apparently with lifetime cover , although it's best option, an insurer can decide to end the policy once 12 months are up if they choose too so just to be aware of ( says in the small print) :)