Pheasants!

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Karen, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

During our visit to the UK over the New Year we were invited to pick up at two shoots. OH handled Poppy on the first one, and I was the handler on the second. In addition, we did some rough shooting on another day with my stepson, whereby OH and I did the beating with Poppy, stepson had the gun, and Pops doubled up doing the picking up. That was a very intense three hours work, with two pheasants retrieved by Pops for the pot at the end of it, lots of fun but very tiring for all!

I have to say that I was delighted with Poppy. I may be just a little biased... but to my mind she was far and away the best dog on both official shoots, both as regards natural talent AND as regards her training. She was very excited, but considering that she only gets to take part in a proper shoot a couple of times a year, she was very, very well-behaved. On the shoot where I was picking up with her, she was one of three labradors and two springer spaniels picking up. There were lots of other dogs beating, too.

My proudest moment was when I sent her for a shot bird that suddenly leapt up and made for the wood. She was after it like an arrow, but it reached the wood before she could get to it. We all thought it was lost, but Pops was not to be deterred - she leapt the wire fence (my heart was in my mouth) and disappeared into the wood... and came back a few minutes later with a large and angry cock pheasant in her mouth. My brave little girl!!!!!

Here she is during a lull, with two of 'her' pheasants:

Unknown.jpeg

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

What a beautiful photo, she looks so well, fit and healthy. Good girl Poppy not being outdone by a Pheasant! Hope they were tasty Katen xx :)

3. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes indeed - nothing like pheasant casserole!

snowbunny and charlie like this.
  4. Debs

Debs Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great photo, she looks really proud of herself.

Karen likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

She really is a very beautiful clever girl. You must be so proud of her

6. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done Poppy :). That's fantastic that she kept on task and didn't stop until she caught the pheasant!

7. David

David Moderator Forum Supporter

Loved your write-up, Karen. Lovely photo and well done Poppy. A real fingers crossed moment (or lifetime! :D).

8. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Beautiful photo, and well done Poppy. Xx

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Excellent work, you must have been so pleased when she came back with the runner.

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

What a good girl! I'd have had my heart in my mouth with the fence, too!