Pigs Ears

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by camo, May 19, 2016.

1. camo

camo Registered Users

We bought a pack of 10, when we got Bear. We were thinking one a week, and the first two took several days to get through.

Bear is now 11 weeks old, and he loves chewing on a pigs ear

But now it only lasts a few hours:eek:

From what I have read, pigs ears can be fatty, so not good to give too often. Is once a week the right frequency at this age? At 11 weeks what other items could or should I add (chicken necks, etc). I have a black Kong, so perhaps I need to look at utilising that more.

Cheers,

Cameron

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Kongs are great at any age. My two aren't power chewers, so they just have the regular red ones. They even still have two puppy ones that are going strong, and they're nearly 2. A medium kong takes them about 20 minutes and a large one about 30 minutes. The great thing about kongs is that you control what goes into it and you can make it as healthy or unhealthy as you wish. My everyday kongs are kibble soaked with water and a small tin of sardines added for flavour. I make enough to fill six large and six medium kongs with one tin. I also fill with turkey or beef mince, raw.

You can feed any sort of chicken - wings, thighs, carcasses, necks yada yada yada. They don't tend to last long because they bones are quite soft. Pork or lamb ribs will last longer, as will rabbit portions. You need to ensure you supervise carefully with bones, though - I leave my dogs with kongs, but supervise everything else. Even kongs can carry a certain amount of risk if you have the wrong size, because a dog's jaw could get stuck in the hole.

3. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Finn demolishes a pigs ear in 7 minutes, I timed him!

4. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I also use Kongs, Mabel also still has two baby kongs and I use them every day (she is now 17 months and I've used them from when she was 9 weeks) She also has a red medium sized one along with a dental dumbbell which is showing no signs of wear and tear. I add kibble and water adding a variety of sardines or trout mousse for added interest then freeze them. I'll also do things like banana and peanut butter or boiled carrots and also freeze them. I bought the extreme goodie bone which she managed to destroy in a month! I also bought the Kong Quest wishbone and bone but they just didn't last more than a couple of months. I've never left her unsupervised with anything other than her adult Kong.
    She also demolishes pigs ears in a matter of minutes.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy Registered Users

Wow pigs ears lasting hours :eek:!!!! Ours go in minutes :rolleyes:

Aravind and Lin like this.
  6. Mraybz

Mraybz Registered Users

We give Molly 1 pig ear a day She gets it while WE are eating dinner. It's the only way we can eat in peace :)

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Pigs ears are the ONE thing Charlie won't eat - strange dog!! :rolleyes::D x

Sammyboy likes this.
  8. Sammyboy

My other dog won't eat them either , how can she not like them :eek::D . Think if I was a dog I'd be an ear lover , Sam always looks so satisfied with one

charlie likes this.
  9. Cherry

Cherry Registered Users

At puppy class they gave out cow's ears which Molly loved so I brought a pack, she's had 3 since Monday but I'm not sure if that's to much. She tends to eat 3/4 and the rest dissappears somewhere in the garden....

Sammyboy likes this.
  10. Sammyboy

I think you'll know if it's too much if Molly gets a runny tummy .

Yum cows ears sound tasty xx

11. camo

camo Registered Users

OK, someone told bear, who was it :)!!

I decided he could have another one tonight (due to me not organising myself), left him in his pen with it, as we were moving some furnature around. Maybe an hour past, and I return to find no more pigs ear:eek:.

I know we stopped giving them to our previous boy Storm as they didn't last long, but I thought I remembered him being about 6 months before pigs ears went from edible chew toy to just food to eat as quickly as possible.

Bear must be working towards the 7min challenge :)

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    drjs@5 and Cherry like this.
  12. Fidelma Hughes

Fidelma Hughes Registered Users

Mm. Wondering if pigs ears might break puppy’s teeth?

13. CarolSmith

CarolSmith Registered Users

My Rosey also got pigs' ears. - LOL