Pig's retrieving

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Lara, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Lara

Lara Registered Users

I've been trying to build the Pig's desire to retrieve recently and I think it is getting better :) it still doesn't work if there is a good sniff somewhere on the way to the dummy but it is improving. Here is the Pig doing a memory retrieve at sunrise the other day. She can't hold a straight line for very far yet so here I sent her down a path and it made her more confident to just keep running till she came across the dummy. Forgive the squeaking from me, I was worried she would break off on the way back to eat rabbit poo...

[​IMG]
    Retrieving at Dawn by Lara Maister, on Flickr

2. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good girl ! :)
    That's lovely to see!

Lara likes this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Really, really nice! Good timing with your encouragement to return back to you :)

Lara likes this.
  4. Lara

Lara Registered Users

she got her muzzle stuffed with sardines for that, it seems to definitely be helping with her motivation, I just hope the value of the sardine reward will gradually rub off onto the retrieve itself!

5. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Woohoo. Brilliant retrieve :)

Lara likes this.
  6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Excellent, you should be very pleased.

Lara likes this.
  7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Very serious question - how do I get my own pig? She's so adorable :inlove:

8. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That was brilliant! Very well done. Lovely floppy ears too.

Lara likes this.
  9. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Look at those long pointer legs! She really is beautiful!!

Lara likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh that is fab! Good girl pig!!! Exactly right - build her confidence on memories with an aid to helping her run a straight line (like the path). Don't do too many memories though, dogs who don't have a huge natural desire to retrieve can easily get bored with them. Jazz your training session up with a few thrown dummies or balls as well, to make it more exciting.

edzbird likes this.
  11. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Thanks! I mostly just fling the dummy after telling her to ‘get out’ so she can have a fun chase, and that’s really helped. She gets an occasional kibble for that, whereas she gets sardines or squeezy cheese for a memory retrieve or one where she is staying sitting and I walk out and drop it and walk back before sending (a marked retrieve? Not sure of the lingo!). I figured she should get better rewards for harder/less exciting stuff, is that sensible?

Karen likes this.
  12. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Well she regularly threatens to put herself in the postbox to visit other dogs on the ‘random hoomans’ thread so chances are she’ll turn up at yours at some point :D

JenBainbridge likes this.
  13. Lara

Lara Registered Users

ooh or you can adopt that Pig that I think @snowbunny found on Facebook! Yes, everyone should have a Pig! The world would have less cow poo in it, that’s for sure.

JenBainbridge and snowbunny like this.
  14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Have you built up a 'confidence zone' for memory retrieves with the Pig? By that I mean that you do several marked or memory retrieves to the same place, over a period of days. Once she knows a particular spot, and is pretty certain there will always be a dummy there for her, you can start to combine it with other, more interesting things, for instance a short retrieve or a little hunt. To do that, you walk out to the confidence zone, with or without her, and put a dummy out. Then you walk back to your starting point, and either throw a dummy a little way behind you, or place a dummy in long grass off to the side, for her to hunt for. Then turn her back to the long memory, and send her for that first. Once she returns, then you can send her for the more interesting marked retrieve or hunt. I think this sort of exercise, kind of mixing things up a bit, is very good for clever dogs who do not have a massive desire to retrieve. Obviously you have to build up to this over several training sessions, but I find that Merlin for instance loves this kind of work, where he has to use his brain and remember things, much more than a single, long, 'boring' memory retrieve.

Lara, charlie and selina27 like this.
  15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Great retrieve!

16. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think this is something I should try and do with Cassie. I'm not sure of the terminology either, is a marked retrieve when they see you throw it and where it falls, and a memory when you throw it a little way and they send them from another place?
    @Lara, this is an interesting post, hope you don't mind me jumping on board.

Lara likes this.
  17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Generally speaking, a marked retrieve is where the dog sees a dummy fall, and you send the dog for it. A memory is when the dog sees a dummy fall, then you do something else (walk a bit further away, or do another retrieve, or whatever), and then send your dog for the original dummy.

selina27 likes this.
  18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That was great Lara, the Pig followed the path :) You are doing great Lara, good for you. Great ideas from @Karen which I am going to pinch, thanks Karen :)x

Lara and Karen like this.
  19. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That was very good. Pig thoroughly deserved the sardines!

Lara likes this.
  20. Inky lab

Inky lab Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That looks fun, wonder if inky would do it. He quite likes retrieving but easily distracted but he does love searching for things. Could you tell me what sort/size dummies you use, as with many things the choice is huge and I end up not getting one because I can't decide.