Piriton dosage

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Widgeon, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

After a pleasant days pigeon shooting with widgeon on Sunday he seems quite itchy.
    I've checked his tummy where he's scratching and it looks like nettle rash or maybe bites.
    We were tucked up in a hedge and I def got bitten and stung so a safe bet!! He also went back into the wood to retrieve a bird and came back covered in smelly, muddy water.

He was checked only last week for mites etc (you may remember my post on his bald patch on frt paw) and was fine.
    He is on advocate and advanticks and CSJ's herbs to fend off biting insects.

I'm going to bath him in a medicated shampoo tonight and give him piriton but not sure of the dose for a lab, he's 30kg.
    I think it was 1 or 2 std (not non drowsy) per day....
    Can anyone confirm??

P.s
    He had a great day and is well on the way to being a great gundog thanks in part to the help from this site

Graham

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sounds like you both had a great day. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you but hope his itching stops soon

3. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

I give mine 4mg piriton tablets. Maisie who is only 19kg was having one as a standard dose but then when she was really bad they said I could give her 2, 1 in the morn and 1 in the evening, so id try 1 to start with and see if it makes a difference and then up it to 2 if you think it's needed :)

4. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

Thanks, we did. I was SO proud of him. Really excited about the fun we're gunna have together this season.

5. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

Thanks Fwitt246, I gave him one 4mg last night and he seemed side effect free this morn
    So will proceed for a day or two on this dose if required.