Play biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by zanacal, Apr 3, 2015.

1. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

I've read the articles but I'm still not 100% sure ..

When Tess mouths our hands we yelp if it's too hard and usually she backs off and/or mouths a little more softly. I think we're ok with this - but I'm not always certain what to do with the play biting, when she comes in the room with us and basically can't stop biting (hands/legs/clothing etc.). I try to redirect her to things she can chew but she really just wants to chew us ;) Any tips please? She usually ends up in her crate where she will settle and then we bring her in a while later (and often repeat) but she seems to spend a lot of time being removed from the room and I'm not sure whether that's normal or right - are there any games we can play with her at this age which might help to redirect her? Maybe I should try a short training session and see if that helps her to forget that she was trying to eat our socks or my dress or arm?! I have so many clothes with holes in - most of my socks go in the bin at the end of the day. I stopped wearing my slippers because she went crazy for them!

I'm about to take her to the vets with me to buy flea and worm treatment. Wish me luck!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Play biting

There are usually two reasons for pups overdoing the biting - under stimulation and over stimulation! Learning which is which in your pup is the key.

If they are full of beans and ready to play then tug games are great. Here is an excellent video showing how to do tug safely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QEJDE2WjPA. Training is great too - in short, 5 minute bursts. Hide and seek keeps them busy and occupied too (use kibble from their allowance so as not to add too many calories).

If they are over stimulated then a kong in their crate and a snooze is best.

:)

3. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Thank you, I'll watch the video! I don't think she's under stimulated, I do lots of 5 minute training sessions throughout the day with her, but I will bear both of those instances in mind

4. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

We'll start learning take it and drop it, I think Tess will enjoy that part too!

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, we'd yelp if Charlie bit down too hard, and disentangle him from our clothes when he was chewing them to bits, but that's about it. He learned bite inhibition just fine, and the rest wore off. My OH would come home from work and say "hold back the beast until I've changed into my puppy clothes!". ;D ;D ;D We just wore old clothes. It was all fine and worked out....

Yep, we put him in his pen with a kong for periods when everyone needed a break...and he'd usually come back out a bit sleepy and ready to settle down for a bit on the sofa.

What you are doing all sounds normal to me.

6. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Thanks Julie! We played take it and drop it for a while, practiced our 'stays' and she was calm enough to come in the living room for oh, 5 minutes ... she's now in her crate and will no doubt be snoring very shortly! I'm sure this will be a distant memory soon enough :)