Please Help......

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by amee, Nov 30, 2017.

1. amee

amee Registered Users

Hi there,

I'm completely new to all this - I've never had a dog before and I'm a little afraid of unknown dogs. We recently got a black lab/bernese mixed with a mini poodle puppy. We brought her home at 9 weeks and she absolutely amazing. We are at the 5 month old mark and she has lost her mind.

When we are out on walks she will walk along beside you, she likes to stop and sniff things an then bam she jumps up on my and bites my coat, my hand, my legs. I've tried getting her to sit, "be gentle, give kisses', turning my back ( she just comes at me from behind). SHe does eventually calm down but sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes.

When we have her at home - if she is behaving we let her wander around the house and play but one she gets over excited/jumping and biting we either crate her or tether her.

She is very smart - knows sit, lay down, down, give kisses, be gentle, leave it (when she feels like it), go to your spot, go outside, go to your bed, and the names of all her toys, she waits to be told to eat. Sometimes I think she does something bad, like jump up on me or bite just to sit down instantly to get a treat......

I'm kind of at the end of my tether with her with the biting, jumping and nipping...please you guidance is greatly needed.

2. Lt.Kippo

Lt.Kippo Registered Users

I was there myself. Your not alone in your feelings one bit.

[​IMG]

This was brand new. That behavior is also normal at this age. Continue to ignore as your doing. The behavior will eventually diminish. Some people have told me Labs don't chill out till about 1.5 years of age!

There's a BIG difference between a 'PROOFED' command vs when your at home in the nice quite and calm time. My puppy also has these commands, but there useless anywhere outside, or if food is not involved. This too shall pass. It's going to take time, and patience. Sounds like your doing all the right things, and as the days pass by will will have moments in which you will see your future well behaved dog in the puppy, though briefly.

I promise it gets better! Hang in there!

3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

It will get easier as she grows up -hang on in there!
    I think it’s asking quite a lot of a 5 month old to walk calmly for any distance on lead. If you’re in the UK think about driving to a safe off-lead area and playing games with your puppy combined with a few short periods of on-lead practice ( rewarding with food every few steps). I realise this is more difficult if you don’t live somewhere dogs can go off lead.

At home large cardboard boxes are great for puppies to play with and chew ( though remove bits as they get soggy). I also used empty plastic bottles without lids, with a few bits of kibble in for entertainment - a lot of noise as the puppy chases and knocks it around but better than biting you.
    Another game I’ve played with all my pups is similar to the flirt pole idea. I used a toy on a long, say 6 foot, thin rope, for the pup to chase and catch and then taught a release cue. The release cue can be taught by swapping the toy for food initially, but after a while the fact that the game starts again as soon as they release becomes its own reward and you don’t need food.

All this engagement in play with you will gradually teach your pup how to have a relationship with you that doesn’t involve biting.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Use treats as much as you can to train her and calm her, things will slowly get better. I am very experienced with pups but my last pup (Mollie) was loopy and caused my coat to be in the same state as the one above! She is now at school and doing brilliantly training to become a guide dog.

Here is a good article - https://www.thelabradorsite.com/excited-puppy/

:)