Pleased or not pleased that is the question

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by caroleb, Jan 24, 2012.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Out on a walk this morning and both dogs were off lead when we ran into Gary with his boxer Bella who we haven't seen for ages. Gary regularly throws balls for Bella and always keeps a spare in case Barney turns up as he pinches them. Watching Barney and Bella charge off in opposite directions for their balls was Rusty.

I'm not sure whether I was pleased he didn't make any attempt on either ball as he wasn't sent or despair of him not really showing any interest in retrieving an exciting object that two other dogs were going bananas over!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Pleased or not pleased that is the question

Either you have trained Rusty to be extremely steady to balls and other thrown objects, or he lacks some retrieving 'drive', or there is something else going on in his head that we haven't figured out yet.

You can teach Rusty a clicker retrieve to get him retrieving nicely but you can't put in 'drive' that isnt there. So he may never be a stylish little Ferarri, more of a reliable Volvo

But does that matter to you?

3. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Well I always knew he's no ferrari! He always watched from a distance rather than join in even when tiny - I suspect there's something else going on now you come to say it

We had a private lesson with Tony on Saturday - he always said it's 100% the human when things don't work so I'd really lost my confidence. After an hour he said - now I see why you're so frustrated - he's so inconsistent. He knows what to do but only does it sometimes and there isn't an obvious why or why not. He thinks he has a "fascinating" temperament - a very interesting dog and that he will get through grade 3 but it'll take about 6 months. I must a bit I was a bit relieved when he played Tony up! Sometimes he flies out for the dummy. Today in the field he out ran Barney (when chased by him) who I always thought was superfast - I think possibly he's so bright it's not stimulating enough for him - a bit like overbright children being the bored ones in class? I have to get him excited first get some interest. For my first dog I'd've preferred less fascinating I think :eek: but he's so affectionate I wouldn't swap him for the moon.

4. Rocketman

Rocketman Lab Technician Forum Supporter

Rocket is bored witless by balls and dummys. However she will mug other dogs to get their pheasants...

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Bless.... ;D

6. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

I now have an image of Rocket hiding down an alley waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting lab returning home from work with his pheasant....

;D ;D

7. Rocketman

[quote author=caroleb link=topic=325.msg1327#msg1327 date=1327444771]
    I now have an image of Rocket hiding down an alley waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting lab returning home from work with his pheasant....

;D ;D
    [/quote]

You wouldn't be too far from the truth... :D

8. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Barney came running down the lane towards me this morning with a big stick in his mouth - this means only one thing. Sure enough as we rounded the corner we met Whisky the springer who loves sticks but always gets mugged by Barney for it if they meet! Barney will not look at a stick unless it is carried by Whisky!

Whisky's owner threw the stick in the field for the dogs and Rusty chased too! I was gob smacked! On balance I decided to be pleased he was showing interest in retrieving something rather than be cross he'd run off on his own whim....

9. Rocketman

[quote author=caroleb link=topic=325.msg1372#msg1372 date=1328032715]
    Barney came running down the lane towards me this morning with a big stick in his mouth - this means only one thing. Sure enough as we rounded the corner we met Whisky the springer who loves sticks but always gets mugged by Barney for it if they meet! Barney will not look at a stick unless it is carried by Whisky!

Whisky's owner threw the stick in the field for the dogs and Rusty chased too! I was gob smacked! On balance I decided to be pleased he was showing interest in retrieving something rather than be cross he'd run off on his own whim....
    [/quote]

That is priceless.

Being pleased was probably the right move, getting cross would only have made him think that bringing stuff back to you made you cross.

10. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

um didn't mention bringing back - as he didn't! 1 stick + 1 very fast springer and 1 very determined lab beat an "ok lets join in for a change" lab yearling hands I mean paws down! But at least they both came when called and we walked off in the opposite direction...