Pongo at the seaside

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rosie, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

We took Pongo to the seaside for the first time today! He had a good time playing with a couple of other dogs in the waves, although I'm not sure he completely approves of this form of water that won't keep still and knocks him over all the time (the waves were big enough to submerge him).... still, all part of new experiences. And he was very good about not jumping up at strangers and - nearly - coming back when we called him. So overall a gold stars day rather than a black marks day...

He is utterly, utterly exhausted now - snoring on the sofa, too fast asleep even to dream. He is also still damp with salt water. Do I need to wash the salt off him, or will he be OK? I don't really want to wake him up and get him soaking wet again if I don't need to!

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Pongo at the seaside

I rinse Riley, partly cos the seawater stinks even more than normal wet labrador and partly as he's prone to dry skin and I think leaving the salt on might not be great bearing in mind his level of sensitivity :)

Sounds like he had a totally fab day, love a tuckered out lab sleep ;D

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I always rinse off after salt water, I have in my mind it's not great to leave the salt on their skin.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley is very jealous Pongo.......she hasn't been in the sea yet ::)
    Glad you had a good day, sleep tight x

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=7370.msg102158#msg102158 date=1408207138]
    And he was very good about not jumping up at strangers and - nearly - coming back when we called him. So overall a gold stars day rather than a black marks day...

He is utterly, utterly exhausted now - snoring on the sofa
    [/quote]

Sounds like a vey successful first trip! :)

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats lovely to hear about , dogs and beaches are something special :)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lucky Pongo.
    I don't always rinse after a straightforward beach trip - I use the nose test - mind you, I am sure a bath will be along sometime in the subsequent 2 weeks anyway with a dog like Lilly.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We rinse off sand from feet but don't do an all-over rinse, just a towel dry.

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

We live by the sea so I don't wash off the salt water as Molly's in it almost every day. Sounds like you had a great time.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Glad Pongo had a lovely time at the seaside xx :)

11. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Penny loves the sea too. She does masses of hoodies around in the dry sand - kicking it up everywhere and acting like a puppy again. She will jump over the waves too if they are small enough, it's so great to see her bombing out into the water hurdling the waves!

I do rinse her off, if not give her a full bath, when we get back though as she gets a bit itchy with the sand and salt water if I don't.

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Yayy Pongo! Sounds like a fab day out. Benson hasn't been to the beach yet, we are planning to take him to Sand bay later today :)

13. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hi Kate - do tell us what Sand Bay is like and how Benson gets on! (Our closest bit of 'sea' is probably Clevedon, so would like to know what it's like along that stretch...

Pongo says to tell Benson to watch out for the bumpy bits in the water, they sneak up behind you then dump themselves all over you. And DON'T DRINK IT, it taste horrid. Quite interesting though, and good way to get your mum and dad wet.

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=7370.msg102299#msg102299 date=1408263131]
    Hi Kate - do tell us what Sand Bay is like and how Benson gets on! (Our closest bit of 'sea' is probably Clevedon, so would like to know what it's like along that stretch...

Pongo says to tell Benson to watch out for the bumpy bits in the water, they sneak up behind you then dump themselves all over you. And DON'T DRINK IT, it taste horrid. Quite interesting though, and good way to get your mum and dad wet.
    [/quote]

Will take my camera..I used to go there a lot when I was youngster with my dog Muffin, then we would head into Kewstoke woods for a stroll, I can't believe that was 30 years ago..

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think most dogs DO try and drink the water their first visits, but given that it is a very good emetic, and enema, I would advise you to factor in an hour or so "post-beach walk" if possible to avoid a rather whiffy car trip home.