Pongo has de-crated himself....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rosie, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh dear.

Since Pongo arrived six months ago he has been sleeping in his rather lovely personal 'cave' - the cupboard under the stairs, for which OH created a rather nifty slatted door so Pongo could be safely shut inside all night but looking out. He likes his cave, and goes in there voluntarily during the day (especially if he has a particularly tasty lamb bone that needs focus and privacy to eat...). He'll also often put himself to bed at night without being told -we just have to shut the door on him when we go up to bed.

Last night there was the sound of chewing and banging.

This morning, one of the slats has been neatly removed and utterly destroyed, and Pongo is asleep on the sofa.

What age did you de-crate your puppies? Pongo is now eight months. I'm inclined to go with the flow and say that he can now sleep downstairs where he likes.... but I am worried about whether the house-training will 'stick' if he has the run of the whole sitting room rather than being stuck in his crate. Any views?

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Re: Pongo has de-crated himself....

Benson is impressed... 8)

Good on yer mate...he woofed... :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Pongo, you're an entrepreneurial boy ;D

I'd see how he goes with the free run of the downstairs area. After all, he had it last night and nothing happened (apart from the initial breakout).

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ha ha ha ha, a successful escape!
    I probably stopped shutting Dexters crate door around 8/9 months I think...but he was still behind the child gate..he still is unless he is up with us (weekends only !he wriggles too much now he's got confident!) the child gate will remain because he would just come straight upstairs if he was free.He has free run of the house of a day but I close all the room doors,so really he just has the open plan downstairs and stairs but he NEVER goes upstairs of his own accord.we've never had a toilet accident or any illegal chewing ( touch wood) ::)

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

As you know we only de-crated Penny recently at 18months of age. My initial plan was to do it at 6 months ish but due to circumstances and her still being a bit chewy at that age decided against it. Now she's out I wouldn't go back! I was really worried at first but aside from the first few escapades over the baby gate she has settled down and is doing fine.

I think maybe just see how he goes... He was fine last night so maybe just try him for a few hours during the day today and see what you think? It sounds like he will be ok as your house was still in one peice this morning!

6. lablover

lablover Registered Users

Ok Pongo, you're not daft are you? See how he goes now that he's broken out. Maybe he decided he's not baby any more and he can show that he's a grown up. :) Don't let yourself down now Pongo. 8)

7. ladyrattlesUK

ladyrattlesUK Registered Users

Aww bless him. That's actually very clever of the cheeky monkey. I hope it goes well whatever you decide with the sleeping arrangements xxx

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

'Well done Pongo, you have impressed me' says Harley :)

Harley is decrated and we haven't had any problems. Currently she has the run of hen kitchen when we are at work, but hopefully in a few weeks she will have the living room, hallway and kitchen. At night she sleeps up with us - sometimes on her bed or in the ensuite or on our bed ;)

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Clever ol' Pongo! :D I don't imagine it will affect toilet behaviour at this age. Hope he's good and gets to retain the sofa as a bed!

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think I'd just see how it goes for a while…

11. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

"Hmmmmm" says Albert " I'm 6 months and mum says NO chance of me getting de crated yet!"

I'm sure all will be fine whatever you decide. I leave the crate open all day for Albert and he snoozes on the sofa but as our internet modum and main phone line is in his room, I'm not taking any chances yet at night! It is hidden behind some furniture and so far he hasn't chewed anything, (nor pooped or wee'd) but I'm not gonna tempt fate yet.

Albert thinks Pongo is a star!

Jan

12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo is feeling FAR too pleased with himself after all these messages from his mates.

We'll see how things go tonight. I think we'll put him to bed in his cave, leaving the door open. And I'll try extra hard to encourage him to do his business thoroughly before he goes to bed. Pongo, don't let me down!

Here is a picture of the guilty party and the escape route...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o9qpns4t3yn60y/20140813_095450.jpg

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

hmmm.....well....

It sort of happened here by accident. Charlie wasn't well, so got to sleep upstairs...then the kitchen ceiling fell in and Charlie's pen turned into a "temporary" storage area....so he is out all day and sleeps upstairs at night.

It feels sort of permanent. On only the second night "bedtime" meant up the stairs rather than in the pen. ::)

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Lol at both Charlie and Pongo ;D ;D

15. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Lol have images of The Great Escape, Pongo throwing a tennis ball against the wall ;D

16. Penny+Me

Oh bless him! That's quite a nifty little set up you've got there, until Pongo did a little remodelling of course...

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

He He ;D
    Way to go Pongo! Got to let these humans know the score ;)

18. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

His daddy is still not amused. Took a lot of thought to create that door....

19. karen reid

karen reid Registered Users

Murphy is 7 months and has had an injured paw for the past 3 weeks so he's got to wear one of those cones when we can't watch him. The cone is huge so he wouldn't fit in his crate comfortably so we've been leaving him out in the living room. My husband has been off the first two weeks with him but we're both back at work this week. I work from 9 to 2.30 and I have left him out of his crate and touch wood there has been no problems, either accidents or chewing. Of course this could be due to him having his cone on so can't get up to much mischief but I'm hoping it got nothing to do with that and he was just ready to be de-crated. Do you think I should just see how it goes next week even after his cone has gone?

Well done to Pongo too, what clever boys we have :)

20. Penny+Me

How did Pongo get on last night?