Poo 'babies' - a sad tale (with a happy ending)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by MadMudMob, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

When we first bought DexiD4DivaDog at 3 (almost 4) she had spent her entire life in a tiny kennel bearing 3 litters.

So she knew nothing and was, as you'd understand, timid to say the least. Everything from the car to carpet was new and deemed a risk. It took time but we now have a great little dog who is confident in places she knows and on the open Hill but still dislikes town walking and is wary but willing when it comes to meeting new people.

I thought I'd share the most heart wrenching thing that happened in the early days. As you can imagine house training involved me standing in the garden for hours hoping she would go. She had no ability to hold on to either pee or poo as she had previously just done it in the tiny kennel (6' by 3' and only 3' high) as the desire hit her.

She developed a habit of having a poo and running off with a chunk of it. I decided she was poo eating and fought to get to the dreaded item before she did. But several times she got away and indoors where she would take the chosen poo into her bed. Heartbreaking to watch her licking it and pushing it to her teats .... literally a poo baby.

Glad to say that stopped within 6 months and she is now a house-clean delight to be owned by.

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Poo 'babies' - a sad tale (with a happy ending)

Between her and poor little Millie's phantom pregnancies it just breaks my heart that anyone can care so little for the emotional wellbeing of their dogs. Thank goodness DexiD4DivaDog has you and Millie has Kate (and Paul and Sam x), thank you for rescuing them x

3. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

There's nothing really that can be said in response to that... Poor, poor girl. Glad she found her way to you.
    Clare

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The poor sausage :'( So sad.

But all's right with her world now :)

5. MadMudMob

I'd never heard of such a thing before it happened to us - anyone know of other instances?

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That is so very sad. Poor little love. How can people be so utterly bad, to treat an animal in such a way - for money? The only love she ever knew was for her babies... :'( :'( :'( But now thankfully she has a loving and caring home with you.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh gosh...so glad she has a home with you now. Maybe a phantom pregnancy thing - but she had nothing else to nurse in the past? :'( :'( :'(

Bless you for giving her a lovely home.

8. MadMudMob

Thankyou but I must admit it is she who has changed my life.

When I became 'unable' and could no longer work/walk/show my dogs (and also too ill to keep parrots any longer) she brought joy and trust back.

Now I can do shortish walks, take her to the park with the ball flinger - she has shown me I don't have to be competitive to have fun with dogs

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

They give as much or more than we ever give them :*

10. MadMudMob

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3704.msg41813#msg41813 date=1387316247]
    They give as much or more than we ever give them :*
    [/quote]
    and its a privilege to have them share our lives and homes :)

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You are a star and you have a little star in your life. Your girl knows love, warmth and FREEDOM and you have each other :*

12. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

thank you for sharing your story,...thank goodness she as a forever home :)

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh, that is a sad tale, poor thing... So glad you rescued her! Nothing but up for you both!! :)

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You have both gained so much. A lovely story for the pre-Christmas season, truly about love and giving. Thank you for sharing it with us. x

15. MadMudMob

Oh my, now I'm blushing. I'm no hero(ine), we bought her from some gypsies the breeder had given her to. She came with her KC paperwork and microchip so we knew she wasn't stolen.

Each and every one of you would have done the same for a dog in need I'm sure and she's the brave one not me

16. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

This is a bitter sweet story of your dear dog and certainly one I can empathise with , we have gone through the same with our little Millie , all she wants is babies :'(
    We are finding, like you , that patience , training and endless love will win the day x

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So glad she has you now ;)

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

One of our Flyball trainers has a rescue Lab who was seized from a puppy farm. Similar story to your girl, MMM. She had had one of her hind feet crushed in a door (it is healed now but is still all twisted and mangled). She had a deathly fear of doorways, understandably. After a huge, long, dedicated effort from her new person she now braver and a tonne happier and the sweetest thing you'd ever hope to meet, even after all that had been done to her :'( She still needs a 'safe area' to run to when at Flyball (noisy, with lots of people and dogs) - in winter it's a crate and in summer a paddling pool.

19. MadMudMob

It never ceases to amaze me how dogs can get over bad things and move on whilst maintaining such good will to the horrid humans who once were so cruel .... humbling stuff.

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh these dogs,they break your heart and then put you back together again with their wonderful spirits x