Poo Eating

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dogboy, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Dogboy

Dogboy Registered Users

I'm sure this is a subject that is well covered but I'm asking anyway. This past day or two my 12 week old pup Meg has started eating her poo off her puppy training pads. It makes me not want to go near her quite frankly! I'm a bit stuck with what to do to make her realise that this is naughty behaviour! I read an article that said "remove the poo before the dog has chance to eat it."......Thanks for the great advice, Captain Obvious.

Anyone got any real info on what I can do to get her to stop? Many thanks!

This is Meg http://oi57.tinypic.com/fxt05x.jpg

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Poo Eating

Hello, a very warm welcome to the forum!

The first thing is don't leave your puppy alone with poo - so clear up any accidents right away. (Captain obvious is also rather right). Is there a reason why you have training pads rather than taking your dog outside?

There is an article here that might help:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/why-dogs-eat-poop-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

3. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Omg she looks so like my Rolo, who also eats his poo and frankly any body's given half a chance. The vet recommended a product that goes in their food and has no taste but once in the system activates and makes the poo taste of chilies and repulses the dog (saying that I know some dog's like chilies) I haven't tried it because Rolo still has an upset tummy so didn't want to make it worse.

Kris

4. Dogboy

Dogboy Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8741.msg123817#msg123817 date=1415915457]
    Hello, a very warm welcome to the forum!

The first thing is don't leave your puppy alone with poo - so clear up any accidents right away. (Captain obvious is also rather right). Is there a reason why you have training pads rather than taking your dog outside?

There is an article here that might help:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/why-dogs-eat-poop-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/
    [/quote]

Thanks! The poo is never on the floor for more than a few seconds but if my back is turned I'm not always able to get there in time.
    She's only had her first lot of jabs, another couple of weeks til the second lot and then we'll be out and about pooing all over the land! :) Until then the pads are the only option.

5. Dogboy

Dogboy Registered Users

[quote author=Rolokris link=topic=8741.msg123818#msg123818 date=1415915502]
    Omg she looks so like my Rolo, who also eats his poo and frankly any body's given half a chance. The vet recommended a product that goes in their food and has no taste but once in the system activates and makes the poo taste of chilies and repulses the dog (saying that I know some dog's like chilies) I haven't tried it because Rolo still has an upset tummy so didn't want to make it worse.

Kris
    [/quote]

You got a photo of rolo? Any idea what this product is called? Sounds like a solution!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

ok, I suppose you don't have a garden.

You could think about treating the puppy pads as though they were the garden, and take her to them at regular intervals - using the normal strategies of supervision and crate between times - so you don't even allow her to be alone with the poo as your back is turned. If you break this habit now, you might stop it developing. Given what a horrible habit it is, it might be worth a try...

7. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

8. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

Pineapple in every meal seems to work Elsie won't touch her and Betty's poo now. However miss a meal and she is off again so it's only a solution while she has it.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I know this isn't a solution for everyone, but Poppy stopped eating her own poo as soon as I put her on a raw diet.

The theory is that dogs do not digest everything out of kibble, and a lot of the wheat base gets passed out in their faeces, so it is in effect still a food source for them. Raw food (meat, bones, vegetables, eggs, fish etc) is almost totally digested, so all that is passed out at the other end is practically just the remains of bones, and as such has no edible value.

10. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=8741.msg123934#msg123934 date=1415975578]
    I know this isn't a solution for everyone, but Poppy stopped eating her own poo as soon as I put her on a raw diet.

The theory is that dogs do not digest everything out of kibble, and a lot of the wheat base gets passed out in their faeces, so it is in effect still a food source for them. Raw food (meat, bones, vegetables, eggs, fish etc) is almost totally digested, so all that is passed out at the other end is practically just the remains of bones, and as such has no edible value.
    [/quote]

Mine are wheat/gluten free but I cook their food, no way could I give it to them raw. But it is not wheat based problem as Elsie is only dog we have had done this to this extent and has never had wheat or gluten.

11. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

She looks a bit like Chepi when she was tiny. Chepi doesn't eat her own poo but loves my cat's. I might get some stuff for my cat to eat. It drives me NUTS!

12. Dogboy

Dogboy Registered Users

Dammit! Turned my back for three seconds and she's at it again. :mad:

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You lot get into my head. I had a dream about dogs eating poo last night. Completely random.