Poo!!!!! Sorry

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Holliesmum, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

We are in the process of changing hollies food from what should be renamed as cardboard to Simpsons 80/20

She has been great on this so far and we are upto 75/25 in favour of the new one.

Today she had a very runny poo is this normal or can excitement and a car journey make this happen.

She isn't particularly smelly tends to do most her pumps at night and they are slightly ripe but not unbearable.

We are going to give her another few days on the 75/25 and hope it was a blip

Thanks again for all your replies, advice, tips they really have been great and such a reassurance x

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: Poo!!!!! Sorry

Well the subject of good and changing food is an interesting one that comes up frequently. The runny poo could be the change over or the new food itself or even over feeding or a bug. With a young pup I would call the vet if it went on for more than a day or two. I don't know anything about Simpsons. I'd hate to give wrong advice where a little pup is concerned so I will leave it there. :)

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

So many things can affect what comes out of a puppy, that unless you change only one thing at a time, it is extremely difficult to pinpoint the cause. Yes, car journeys can cause upset tummies, at both ends, because they are stressful.

The best thing to do is keep the puppy on the breeders food for at least the first week or so. Then if you want to change, pick a reputable brand of commercial puppy, change over gradually (mix into existing food in small quantities to begin with) and provided the puppy seems well in herself, and provided any loose stools are gradually firming up, to stick with that new brand for at least a couple of weeks.

If diarhorrea or loose stools persist, you'll need to talk to your vet.
    See: when to call your vet for more information

Hope things firm up soon!

4. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Thanks for the replies, pippa we have had Hollie for 5 weeks now and she is 14 weeks, I'm hoping it was a one off

Esther

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

When really excited and after lots of running around Harley's poo can be a bit 'soggy', but other than that, it's normal.

6. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I am changing Cooper's food from "puppy" to "adult" both are Fromm's.
    But I do notice after a car ride or after he has had a lot of water to drink his Poo is runnier. It also seems to get that way the later it gets in the day.
    But that has been always. I think it all depends on how rough they play, how long a car ride, how much water they drink and so on. But certainly, when changing food, it should be done gradually.