Poorly Bentley

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lorj2000, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

So today was our first day leaving little Bentley (12 weeks old today) I felt sick with nerves driving to work! Just had a call from our puppy walker (He is calling in twice a day for 30 minutes) that the poor little fella has quite bad diarrhea, just pure liquid and a very dark colour! He seems to be fine and is still playing and tail is wagging etc but so worried about him ;-( Leaving work early this afternoon to get back for him. Not a very successful first day leaving him! Have spoken to the vet and she reckons he has perhaps eaten grass/mud or some of the bark from the front gardens in our estate when we took him for a walk earlier, just need to keep an eye on him. She also suggested chicken and rice for dinner and no dry food. Anyone else tried this when they have had a poorly pup? Silly question but I am presuming you cook the chicken????? I dont have children but feel like I have a very poorly baby to get back to !!!!!!

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Poorly Bentley

Oh, poor little chap! Yes, cook the chicken and make sure the rice is nice and soft. It is also a good idea to miss at least one meal before you start giving the chicken / rice mixture, to give his tummy time to settle down. Make sure he has plenty of water available. Hope he is better soon!

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yup plain chicken(definitely cooked, no skin) and rice is a staple here for an upset tum ! We also pop a bit of bio yoghurt in to replace the good stuff in the tummy that may have been lost.

I hope Bentley feels much better soon, sensitive tummies are pretty normal for pups, their immune systems take a while to develop. As long as he's drinking water and not dehydrating it's probably just a blip. If it continues get back in touch with the vet.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah I'm sorry you've had this on what must have been a stressful day anyway....Bentley will be all the better for seeing you when you come in,let his tum have a rest and bland food as advised and let us know how he goes,best wishes x

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I would also advise that you keep the rice fairly sloppy so that he is getting liquid, so dont make the rice really dry as we would eat it , hope the little lad is better soon :)

6. jennyann

jennyann Registered Users

Ah poor Bentley, how is he?

I second what others have said...I used chicken mince and boiled it in the same pan as the rice. Fair sloppy. Quite disgusting. I did fast her for about 12 hours (some recommend fasting for 24 hours).

Worked wonders and very quickly.

Your dog, like a child at nursery, will be fine!!!
    He'll get used to it!
    I leave Rosie something new to chew each day like a sheet of newspaper or a shoebox or a roll out of the kitchen roll. As well as her usual stuff. Just to add variety. Long toys stuffed with treats are also good amusement while you're out. Sometimes I leave the radio on but jury is out on whether that's a stage too far!!!

Good luck xx

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope the little man is feeling better soon :)

8. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

Thanks for your comments guys. Bentley seems much better today but think thats becuase the vet gave him somthing to "Bung" him up as his diarrhea was quite bad and they were worried. he has some medication for 2 days. He seems fine in himself and still playing etc. Very worrying!!!