Poorly pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Marge, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Marge

Marge Registered Users

Hello,
    I have a 51/2 month old lab bitch called Fern. Yesterday she had been sick a little bit during the night and then she brought all her breakfast up. She ate what we thought was fox poo whilst out on a walk the previous day. She continued to bring up bile, didn't drink or eat, and was so lethargic that by teatime we took her to the emergency vet. They checked her thoroughly and gave her an anti nausea injection.
    I had her up with me for the night and she had a drink a couple of times and she hasn't been sick.
    She refused to eat this morning, I did her some scrambled egg and tried to tempt her with a bit of turkey but she wouldn't touch it. This is our first lab although we have had springers for over 30 years, and we have been amazed at her ravenous appetite so this is strange behaviour indeed!
    I'm so worried about her. :(

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

First. Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that Fern is unwell but try not to worry that she's not interested in food right now. Try offering small meals of boiled rice and minced chicken just cooked in some water or I've used some cod when I couldn't get minced chicken. When she's eating again gradually re-introduce her normal food. As long as Fern is drinking she will be OK buy if she continues to refuse food I would have a word with the vet and see what they suggest.
    When Fern is feeling better we'd love to hear more about her

Pilatelover likes this.
  3. Marge

Marge Registered Users

Thank you. Have got some chicken to mince and will try her on it later. Wish she would drink a bit more. Her bowls right by her but haven't heard her drink from it. I've tried coaxing but I guess she will when she wants to!
    Thanks for the advice and support.
    Will fill you in with more details about the little lady later :)

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Sorry to read about Fern, such a worry having a poorly puppy. She isn't eating yet because she is not feeling well, so I wouldn't worry too much yet. However, if she becomes more lethargic, I would phone the vet again. You may be able to get a syringe from the vet, needle OFF, and just get small amounts of water into her, a few mls at a time, by lifting her lip and just squirting it in. One way I got to make my sick dogs drink was to put a spot of milk into the water, I know dogs are not supposed to digest milk, but I have never had a problem with mine.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Another couple of ideas fir the drinking us a small spoonful of honey in the water or a few flakes of tuna I've heard suggested as well. Hydration is more important than food at the moment. I also find bottled water works well with Juno (Evian is her preferred choice ), it seems the difference in smell encourages them to try.

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor little sausage , I do hope she feels better soon . Another thing to do is that when you cook her rice and cool it down, leave it very sloppy and watery , this way she will be getting some liquid . I swear by honey too, its my standby for poorly dogs .

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Marge, welcome to the forum and hope your little one is soon feeling better. Do give your vet a ring if Fern is not perking up this afternoon, or if she still won't drink.

8. Marge

Marge Registered Users

Thanks guys
    I am trying the syringe having got a couple in in case of poorly bunnies.
    Honey is a good idea, I will give it a try. I always put water with her food as she's not a great drinker so she's used to sloppy !!
    Will keep you posted X

MaccieD and kateincornwall like this.
  9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Marge.
    Welcome to the forum.
    No extra advice....think everyone has mentioned my tips.
    Lilly lives fox poo both to roll in and eat and hasn't ever been unwell.
    I would have a low threshold for phoning the vet back if she isn'tpicking up.
    I do hope poor Fern is back to herself soon.
    jac

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Marge and welcome to the forum. I can't add to the advice above. I hope she is feeling better soon. Please do let us know how she gets on.

11. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum. Really hope Fern is feeling better soon.

My Pointer had an upset tum after a small op recently, he was very sick so was given an anti sickness jab which stopped the vomiting but not the nausea, it was a full 6 days before he was tempted to eat again! As you can imagine I was beginning to panic! Fingers crossed Fern doesn't make you wait that long.

12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Has she pooped? Is there a possibility of obstruction? If you are feeding her very liquid, "sloppy" food then bits of liquid poop could get by an obstruction but not more solid pieces. Something to ask the Vet, if this continues.

13. Marge

Marge Registered Users

Update
    Fern spent last night at the vets, had X-rays yesterday and more investigation today with a view to surgery if she's no better as maybe an obstruction, as snowshoe suggested. I'm a wreck! :(

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, what a worry. She's in the best place right now and I'm sure they'll do whatever is best for her. Please let us know how little Fern gets on.

15. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am sorry to read that, but she is in the best place and it may not be an obstruction. With you in spirit as I can imagine how you feel xx

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

She is in the best hands to see her through this problem and hopefully she'll soon be home again. Impossible I know but try not too worry too much, she will soon be home with you again. xx

17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So sorry to hear this, but Fern is in the best place for her. I am sure they will sort her out. Try not to worry xx

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

All fingers crossed for little Fern.

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Best wishes for your puppy, I hope everything turns out ok. A very worrying time for you. :(

20. Marge

Marge Registered Users

Thank you everyone
    Just heard she will be operated on tonight as the vet thinks fern has a small swelling on her intestine when she scanned her, that could be an obstruction xx