Poorly puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Incastinker, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

It looks like Inca has a stomach upset and unfortunately because of the Scottish bank holiday today we won't be able to see a vet until tomorrow. It doesn't look too serious but her poos have gradually become more and more soft since Tuesday. They haven't increased in frequency at all. She got plenty of titbits from our families while we were at home over Christmas and at first I thought it might be that so I put her on chicken and rice yesterday but she did a very mucousy poo this afternoon. She's also noticeably lost weight over the last couple of days so it might be a parasite of some form.

Poor little girl, other than the poos she still looks in excellent health, lots of energy, shiny coat and gums are the right colour. Now I just want to find out what the problem is so she can hopefully get better. 9am can't come quick enough!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Poorly puppy

Poor girl.
    Lilly is just getting over a vomiting bug.
    I had always given her chicken and rice for an upset tummy, but this time as it went on longer, I tried scrambled egg and I am sure it stayed down better.

Hope she gets the all clear from the vet and feels better really soon x

3. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Maisie has just had gastroenteritis and lost weight quite quickly. A trip to the vets and antibiotics and special food cleared things up very quickly and she has put all her weight back on. Hope Inca feels better soon.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oh no :( I hope you manage to get it sorted quickly x

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Vets are required to provide a 24 hour service, so you could have been seen, though it would have been expensive!

6. Incastinker

I definitely contemplated using the out of hours vets service but it was late in the afternoon by that stage anyway and she is still looking very well and is no different in herself. I think if she had gone quiet and was acting different to her normal self I would have had her seen.

It does make me laugh that boyfriend and I are completely stressed out while she is totally nonchalant enjoying all the fuss and freshly cooked meals. Little madam!

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Play it for all it's worth, Inca ;)

She doesn't sound too bad, but obviously not 100%. Hope you can get it sorted soon. :)

8. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Aww hope she's better soon.

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah hope she's a bit better today ,hate the tummy upset episodes :'(

10. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Good luck at the vets'. Let us know how you get on :)

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Oh they do stress us out when they are ill :) I used to be a vet nurse and could deal calmly with other ill and injured animals, but if one of mine was ill, I was a nervous wreck!

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hoping she is improving soon , is she drinking plenty ? I always advise to make the rice very sloppy and wet so that they are getting fluids .

13. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Sending healing hugs. Hope she's on the mend soon. They worry us don't they! x

14. Incastinker

Thanks for all the support everyone, always good to know you're not alone! Went to see the vet this morning and he thinks she has picked up an infection somewhere along the line. Not surprising given the amount of new places and people she has met over the last fortnight. He has pretty much given her a bit of everything to sort it out. She had a steroid injection at the surgery to calm her digestive system and then he has given me Panacur and antibiotics to give her at home. He agreed that other than the weight loss she seems fine although her temperature was slightly raised.

A few more days of chicken and rice for her with a bit of natural yogurt mixed in and the vet suggested supplementing with a bit of scrambled egg every day to get the weight back on her as she can only eat small portions of rice.

I have never known myself experience so many paranoid moments as I do with this little puppy! There is always something new to worry about! Actually felt slightly guilty in the vets waiting room when I looked at everyone else's dogs who seemed a lot more poorly than mine. Just relieved that she will hopefully be back on the mend again :)

15. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Great news!!! Hope you are less stressed out now.....but when our pup is sick, we go over the edge, dont we?
    I see you live in Scotland.....my most favorite of countries. Spent three weeks touring up East coast and down West coast back in 2000 and fell in love with the entire country.....must add it was three weeks of wonderful sunshine which, I understand, is most unusual.

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad you got Inca sorted. I totally understand being on edge every time they are poorly - we have had several illness over her short life and it does make me watch her closer.
    Fingers crossed the meds help :)

17. Incastinker

Hurray! Solid poo again this morning! Can't believe what a poo obsessive I have turned into!

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

That's good :D

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great news!!

Obsessively attending to poo is normal. Isn't it...?

20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Incastinker link=topic=9336.msg134498#msg134498 date=1420362639]
    Hurray! Solid poo again this morning! Can't believe what a poo obsessive I have turned into!
    [/quote]

Haha, it appears it happens to us all! :D