Possessive Male

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Rhaegar & Roach, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Rhaegar & Roach

Rhaegar & Roach Registered Users

Hello, I'm new to this site and actually joined just to ask for advice. I have a two year old male (neutered) Labrador, he's always been very head strong but recently he's gotten worse. He's very possessive of me (just me) and has gotten to the point of aggression when other animals or strangers are near me. This only happens with me as when he's with my fiancé he's just a normal people loving lab.
    I don't understand why he's started this and no trainers will help as he's been labeled "dog aggressive" which isn't true. He's a great dog but he's got to get over this protecting me nonsense. Is anyone else's lab like this? If so, how do you remedy it?

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi. Can I ask which country you are in? I'm surprised no trainers will help as this is the kind of thing they should be able to help with.
    How is he with you when your fiancé is around? Is he off lead or on lead when he gets aggressive with strangers / other dogs? What does he do? Bark? Bite?
    Sorry for all the questions but it will make it easier for someone to help.

3. Rhaegar & Roach

Rhaegar & Roach Registered Users

I'm in the U.S. Texas to be exact, I've only contacted local trainers. When my fiancé is with me he acts no different. He's even growled at my fiancé before for grabbing me. He's never bitten but he lets out some nasty snarls. I used to keep him off the lead when we were walking but now that I can't trust him he's leashed on a collar and leashed by a muzzle when we go out. When people come over I usually leave him inside.
    Normally when a new person comes over I have them stand outside the gate while I casually talk to them, this helps some but if they get too close to me, or one time someone threw a wooden board, he'll go off again.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there

It sounds like your dog might be resource guarding - and you are the resource. If this is right, it sounds extremely tricky. Resource guarding has to be handled very carefully, and I'd say with a dog that resource guards a human it's time to find professional help if you can (professional help in the form of a humane, positive, well qualified behaviourist or trainer who knows what s/he is doing).

5. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

Teller has some barrier frustration concerning other dogs when he's on-leash/behind a fence. He starts leaping into the air (not lunging, literally hopping vertically), whining, and eventually makes really ugly noises. He's amazing in crowds and with other people . I think the barrier frustration is because he hadn't really been around other dogs until I got him at 13 months old (they were kept separate in the shelter). I've worked with him to the point where he will sit at heel when another dog passes, but I always make sure to get off the trail or move far enough away so the other dog doesn't lunge toward T for a greeting. Off-leash he gets on really well with other dogs and wants to play, play, play.

However, there was an incident off-leash with a Great Dane puppy while we were hiking. The other owner wanted them to greet off-leash and since he's normally fine, I allowed it. Well the dog was very submissive and T didn't know how to react when the pup automatically flopped over and showed his belly. I was standing there and removed Teller from the situation, at which point he began to make some nasty noises. He did not snap or anything and the puppy kept coming back and trying to play with Teller. I don't think it was aggression because the other dog usually won't keep trying to initiate play again if there is a problem but it made me nervous. I noticed Teller will pick up on my nervousness and then he becomes a lot more stand-offish around other dogs. When I am some distance away he plays just fine, same when my dad takes him to the dog park or when my ex walks him. Your dog picking up on your anxiety could be at least part of the problem, especially since you said he seems fine with your fiancé.

Definitely consult another trainer! It seems really odd that trainers won't work with him. Another option is to look into trainers who offer what's called a, 'reactive rover' class. These are specifically designed for reactive dogs (whether it be towards humans or other dogs) and would probably be your best option.