Potential Second Pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sven, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi,

We are looking at getting a second pup from the same breeder that we got Vanilla from. Plan was always to have 2, but originally they were going to be similar/same age, but different litter.

Anyhow, we have kept in contact with the breeder since we got Vanilla. They have advised that Vanilla's mum is pregnant and they have used the same dad. So in essence it would be a true sister to Vanilla and there would be about 20 month’s difference between them. We like the temperament of Vanilla, so that is our main draw card. We would be looking at another girl, Parent health checks are excellent. We even had Vanilla checked when she went in for her Spay and are pleased with those.

Just have a couple of questions before we go ahead. More to get a feel for it, not 100% sure the answer would necessarily sway us that much but you never know.

1. Could there be any issues between the two of them later in life, given that they would be from the same parent line etc. I am never sure if all the stories about having 2 girls is an issue later in life (what I have heard/read is about 7years+ causes issues). Vanilla currently is a very comfortable girl and likes her space and her routines, but I know she would adapt if another one joined the family.

I know first introduction, coming into new environment, being put out of place (Vanilla) etc. are already being worked/planned by me.

2. When we got Vanilla it was more for OH than me. I know that sounds a bit weird, the dog was always meant to be more for her. This did not work out that well, due to various circumstances and Vanilla is now more my dog, according to OH. Vanilla does interact with her, but if she is at home with her, Vanilla can most times ignore her and just lay by the front door waiting for me. This of course annoys her, but my response is normally do this or have you tried this. It then normally leads to a good engagement between the two of them and OH is a bit happier. Vanilla won’t cuddle OH the same way as she does with me, so of course this is a major issue. Admittedly I do most things with her ie: training, walking playing etc.

I know dogs can gravitate towards 1 main person, but just want get a feel if a second dog would end up taking cues from the first dog and gravitate towards the same person?

I have no problems with that, as I know I will end up doing most things with the second one too, and making sure that Vanilla still gets her time that she has now. This obviously would be like that until second one is old enough, so that we could all do the same things together. Clearly from OH half’s perspectives, this would not be ideal if the second pup also gravitated towards me. Apart from if OH does more, but highly unlikely (she likes her sleep during the night as example).

Don’t get me wrong, OH does engage with Vanilla and vice a versa. Vanilla is always pleased to see her, but will come to me for anything and everything. If we do get a second one, I know there will be more questions coming this way.
    But for now I think these 2 will do. Anyone got any thoughts about the above?

Thanks for reading

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @Sven, how exciting to be getting another puppy, I do confess to a sneaky feeling of envy:) I've often had two dogs and I think its good.
    My own experience is that 2 bitches are just fine, I would have thought that Vanilla would be young enough to accept her, I'm sure you will handle it right. I think introducing two adult bitches could be problematic.

I've no idea about the second question however, but I'm sure someone else we be along soon!

Sven likes this.
  3. MF

MF Registered Users

Re the second question, I strongly believe you get out what you put in. My husband was most put out for years saying Snowie was my dog, jealous that Snowie basically ignored him when I was around. But just 4 months ago things changed dramatically. I stopped working from home, and my husband started working from home. I stopped morning duties due to work and my husband took over feeding breakfast and the morning walk. He also started feeding the bedtime snack.

Well, the change is DRAMATIC! And for me, it’s for the better cos I felt a massive responsibility for Snowie’s happiness. Now he gets it from both of us. He is as excited to see my husband as he is to see me. Responds to my husband in a very affectionate way. And my husband is delighted, adores having an adoring dog. And all it took was feeding a meal and a snack, and one walk a day.

Snowie will still seek me out if I’m home, lies in the bedroom while I’m getting ready for work. But I really do believe he’s happier now that he has two people, not just one.

Harley Quinn, Sven and selina27 like this.
  4. Sven

Sven Registered Users

@selina27 sounds like if they are younger it is easier to accept than older ones. My main concern is that in the end both are happy and we don't end up in a situation of fighting in the household between dogs.

@MF agree with you about input = output. This seems to be the biggest problem with OH. She wants the nice things to just happen ie: cuddles, nice walks etc. She always turns round to me and says that I talk to Vanilla like if she is a person. My response is yep and she understands me 100%. Like to day we where in the garden just relaxing, Vanilla comes up and looks at me then the pool. I said you want to play in the pool and she got so excited and ran straight to it.
    If we are both at home for her dinner time, I will get OH to feed her etc. She does engage with her, but just not as much. Working on it, working on it (but have a feeling it will end up being very similar with second pup)

MF likes this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

If you are up for taking on nearly all the responsibility for 2 dogs and you are happy with that, go for it and I am sure Vanilla would be accepting of another bitch. I am sure you have thought long and hard about the cost of food, insurance, vet bills, training, what happens when you go on holiday, not to mention all the leads and collars, you know how we all love a good lead and collar chat ;) :D I've made no secret about not wanting to ever do 2 dogs again as much as I adore my dogs :heart: as it's masses of work, thats with David and I sharing responsibility, if I had to go it alone I couldn't cope. Good luck Sven :) x

Sven likes this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It sounds perfect. Of course, there are no guarantees that your second pup will be the same temperament of Vanilla, but you've got the best chance with using the same parents and having the same early upbringing. You know it wasn't the simplest thing for me introducing a puppy to my older dogs, but once the initial problems were out of the way, I've not had any issues between Willow and Luna or either of them and Conchita. Willow is very clear in her body language and will let any of them know not to jump on her when she's relaxing (she can bark and show her teeth), but she does the same to Shadow, and it's just acceptable communication.

Yes, you can expect that the second puppy will be the same in terms of engagement; they tend to gravitate towards the person who interacts with them most, understandably!

Sven likes this.
  7. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I too think input=output. Both of our dogs treat DH and me equally as we both share the tasks invoked in looking after the dogs. If we are both around they are happy but if there’s just one of us here, they are happy too. I do the boring weighing the food and making the kongs, vacuuming the endless hairs :mad: and DH does the long walks/runs which I cannot physically do (he’s younger than me :rolleyes:) but attention wise they get it equally from both of us. DH does the rough play bit and I do as he calls it the Mumsie bit’s - I don’t object to being called Mumsie :confused:.

You may remember we had big problems bringing home a small puppy but Sky is a lot lot older and there were other circumstances so I think our situation was rare. It was very hard work and if I’m honest tested DH’s and my relationship - fortunately that’s all ok and we work well as a team but I got a glimmer of how things can go wrong. The dogs get on fine now and I honestly think Red has benefitted from Sky’s quiet, gentle disposition.

The are downsides - the cost of a second dog has to be considered. We have just had a holiday without dogs and needed to kennel Red - it was very expensive so those costs need to be factored in. We have had more trips to the vets this year than in all the time we have had Sky but to be fair some of that has been Sky’s arthritis diagnosis etc. I seem to have been buying stuff - harnesses, leads, kongs, Special food to name a few all year. Our freedom to go out has also been affected and sometimes that’s a bit tough. As we both love our dogs very much - the downsides are in perspective.

I like having 2 dogs :).

Sven and MF like this.
  8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I LOVE having two dogs; and pressured hugely for another one! We intended to have another female, but once we had to have Poppy spayed for health reasons, OH suddenly said he thought she might do better with a male rather than another female... Certainly, it is a lot of work having two dogs, but not DRAMATICALLY more than having one. The major difference is if you have to go away and leave the dogs behind - lots of people are willing and able to look after one, but those who would be willing and in a position to look after two are few and far between... I love having a male and a female, and I have to say it completely depends on the characters of the individuals. Merlin's breeder said it often takes up to six months until the dogs really accept each other. Whatever you decide, be prepared that it will not work out how you expected! But in the long term it pays back in dividends. Good luck, looking forward to hearing about it all.

Sven and selina27 like this.
  9. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

@Sven This is so exciting! Vanilla is such a loved young lady that I know there is more than enough love to share:)
    With regards to her relationship with your OH, I can only echo what @MF and others have said - Harley was also supposed to be "mine" but very quickly bonded with DH. He is definitely the fun parent. And like you said, Harley has always displayed affection to us both, but offered the choice she would spend time with DH. And then I started classes with her. Just the two of us, no DH. I can not explain to you how much this has strengthened our bond and also changed it. So with Vanilla or the new pup I can strongly suggest that your OH has a defined role. Harley really enjoys the clicker games and because I do that with her I am now also the fun parent, and she is always offering me behaviours.

Sven, MF, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  10. MF

MF Registered Users

Please elaborate. I um and ah about getting another...

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

They are so much fun together. Their characters are so different... It means OH and I can each handle or train one dog, though we swap off all the time. It stops me fixating on one dog (instead I fixate on two...)...

Sven and snowbunny like this.
  12. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks all, will be posting about it all as we progress and plenty of questions I am sure
    Yes we have thought about the costs etc. and the separate training etc. plus time commitments so not phased about that. Holiday wise, it is pretty much 'where are dogs aloud and if we are not camping then are they allowed inside'

yes I know, we just bought a new one for Vanilla, about a month ago a Soft pink leather one with matching lead, and now have seen another one :rolleyes:

Yes agree, but this is our main draw card given the nature of Vanilla and how she has adapted to all the training. Plus it is always fun and nothing is ever boring, well apart form the same walks now and again (for me more than her) but a good chat and play/training with her makes it more interesting. Plus it is not about me but her.

That is the one thing that I am keeping a very open mind about. I figured if I go in with no preconception I can't go wrong. One thing is thought that the young one will have to adapt as I won't put Vanilla out of place ie: her sleeping/chill out places. Luckily for us they are in a good spot so the second one can easily find her own in comfortable spaces too.

Thanks for the comment, but so true she is loved. But yes plenty to share for all.

I agree with this, the problem we have is this was tried, time and commitment is not always the strong point. Unfortunately, so it has more turned into a I train, when we are out and about OH gets comments 'oh she is well behaved', Oh to her credit does say I have put a lot of work in. But always funny to watch Vanilla in those circumstances, as she makes eye contact with me to ask if she can actually do x,y or z after OH has said it.