Potty Training Advice for 13 week pup - Please Help

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by GPepper, Nov 13, 2022.

1. GPepper

GPepper Registered Users

Hello everyone! I know at 13 weeks my pup doesn't have much control over his bladder. We are crate training and when in the crate he will let me know when he wants to go. I say "potty", let him out of the crate and he goes to the door and goes in his potty spot. He gets a little treat and a lot of praise. I let him out for a bit longer and sometimes he will go again, sometimes he doesn't. We will be out of the crate playing and socializing with our older dog and when we are done I will take him out to potty again. Often times when we come back he will be walking and just stop to pee, no warning at all, right after we went outside and he already relieved himself, sometimes twice. My other lab didn't do this and was able to hold his urine for a few hours. This new pup can't even hold it for 2 minutes it seems. He holds it fine while he naps for a few hours. At this point I feel he needs to be in his crate most of the day (I work from home so he is not alone and gets plenty of attention) but is that the right answer? Any help, comments or suggestions would be wonderful.

Edp likes this.
  2. Katrin

Katrin Registered Users

Oh my goodness, I could have written that post myself. I had a really clever puppy but at 13 weeks she was getting her poos right but could not hold urine.

it felt like every few minutes, small amounts, everywhere (carpet, stone, wooden floor, tiles, her bed). I couldn't keep on top of it! October...freezing n dark out. It took until 16 weeks old and she got it!

We went from loads of accidents to one a day then none. Maybe it was her ability to hold it better.

i basically micromanaged her, outside every twenty minutes, when she did it right, marker word and treat. Consistency paid off. If she got it wrong just cleaned up no scolding, no punishment.

your puppy will get it too. Don't give up and don't get disheartened or angry. Just takes time.

GPepper and Edp like this.
  3. GPepper

GPepper Registered Users

Thank you!!! it makes me feel better that my pup is normal. I’m definitely not angry but I do feel like I’m failing but I’m going to keep at it cause I am determined. I love this little guy!