potty training frustration!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deano82, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Well we thought all was good with Neros potty training but the last few days it seems like we have taken one step forward and 2 steps back!

Now he will go to the back door and when he gets outside he just messes around chewing stones etc. Then he will come back in and pee on the floor! Its difficult to know if he only wants to go out to mess around or to go to the toilet.

This is getting very frustrating as we always praise when he goes potty outside yet he still doesn't seem to get the hang of it

2. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: potty training frustration!

I seem to recall we went through a phase when Brew would demand to go out... because she wanted to play. If, when we got outside, it was clear that play was what she had in mind, we went straight back inside, and I took her out again 5 minutes later. Playing in the garden was curbed until we got back into a pattern of 'business first'. It didn't last long as a phase, and was worse when she could see the outside - through a glass patio door. Blocked her view and she didn't exactly forget it was there, but it was no longer a continuous temptation! I could have taken her out on a lead to stop the playing, but we didn't need to go that far.

Sure someone else will have other suggestions,
    Clare

3. Dukester

Dukester Registered Users

Duke went through this, it happened more as he got older. We started giving him a treat when he did his business and came back in. But he starts going out, diving through snow, and chasing leaves, and would come back in. For that, he got no treat. It didn't take him long to realize business meant treat and praise. He still does this from time to time, but ask stated above, we take him out right away after wards and he usually can't hold it outside and goes.

It will get better! I thought I was going to lose the battle, but it does get better!

Good luck!

4. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Thanks I hope its just a phase! Its very frustrating when you think all is well and then it seems that you are back where you started.

Fingers crossed

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

When he asks to go out I would take him out on lead and make it business only. Work out what is his preferred spot to wee/poo in and always take him there. Give him five minutes and then take him back inside if he doesn't produce anything. Take him out again 10 minutes later and try again. He may well just be getting distracted and forgetting that he went outside to wee. Also, if you are not doing it already, give him a treat when he pees or poos (as well as the praise you are giving). You could also have a little game or let him off the lead after he wees/poos as an added reward. No pee, no play :)

6. David Tee

David Tee Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=4174.msg49505#msg49505 date=1390516966]
    When he asks to go out I would take him out on lead and make it business only. Work out what is his preferred spot to wee/poo in and always take him there. Give him five minutes and then take him back inside if he doesn't produce anything. Take him out again 10 minutes later and try again. He may well just be getting distracted and forgetting that he went outside to wee. Also, if you are not doing it already, give him a treat when he pees or poos (as well as the praise you are giving). You could also have a little game or let him off the lead after he wees/poos as an added reward. No pee, no play :)
    [/quote]

Oooh, I like that last suggestion. Must try that...