Potty Training Relapse

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jesstamm, Oct 3, 2013.

1. jesstamm

jesstamm Registered Users

My husband and I just got a new puppy a week ago yesterday. She has done really well and has only had 2 very small accidents in the kitchen because my husband and I lost track of time and didn't realize it had been longer than 30 minutes. (We are taking her out on a strict schedule training and rewarding her for going outside.)

The first week staying with us she has done really well in her kennel as well. (We are kennel training her) She has a divider in her kennel so she has enough room to sleep but not enough to go pee in a corner or something.

HOWEVER early this morning before I left for work I found a small little wet small on the blanket in her kennel. I didn't even see her go there? What's strange is I had taken her out every 30 minutes and she had peed every time.

Then when my husband got home about an hour and a half later, he found that she had peed on her blanket in the kennel again. He then removed the blanket.

Why the sudden relapse? Why would she starting going in her kennel all of a sudden? This is my first every puppy and I need advice!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Potty Training Relapse

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!
    How old is your little girl?
    I am assuming she is around 10-11 weeks? We didn't have too much problem with house training as Lilly a little older so her bladder was a bit more mature. I guess it takes a bit to get the hang of it.
    I think probably you just need to keep on with really good rewards for wees outside, and trying to make as little fuss as possible for the accidents.
    Have you read this article on the main site? http://www.thelabradorsite.com/?p=450
    I'm sure things will get better with your perseverence.

jac (and Lilly - 3 year old black girl)

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sorry I've not said hi,angela with Dexter a 12 month yellow boy,our first dog.Ive been flat out with visitors and getting Dexter ready for a couple of ops,so I'm really missing my forum time ;D
    We live abroad and we didn't take delivery of Dex until he was 5 months old...yes he arrived in a box off the plane :'( :'( :'( so I haven't got any advice to give you on this subject,however I've learned that 2 steps forward 4 back is quite normal on almost everything,don't get disheartened by it,just keep,consistent and persevere...to me you sound like you are doing everything right,but I would now take that blanket away completely as she will have a scent on it.let us know how you do and what cracks it...good luck x

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=jesstamm link=topic=2784.msg28564#msg28564 date=1380831885]

Then when my husband got home about an hour and a half later, he found that she had peed on her blanket in the kennel again. He then removed the blanket.

[/quote]

I definitely had going backwards weeks house training my boy....

It's not quite clear from your post, but had you left he for 1.5 hours? It might just be too long?

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there, has the situation resolved itself now?