Premeditated human spraying

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Dawn_Treader, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

Welcome to lovely lake Zurich. Home to many lidos and comfortable cozy places to rest and relax. Its clean waters are an oasis for all including Mocha who loves to splash in the clear water, chase ducks and swans or tries on occasion to drown me. Why o' why does she seek out lone sitting strangers reading a book, playing with their handhelds, or soaking in the sun sitting along the shore and target them to shake off her wet stinky fur? I can take her to an isolated spot away from humans and she will swim to an exit where someone sits, or run around until she sees someone, and if no one is near, she will target me. (I personally don't mind.)
    Please note it is neither an accident, a coincidence nor aggravated. It is premeditated selection, and it means something. If I understood my chances of controlling it may slightly increase. Does anyone have a clue about this strange behavior? Thank you!

UncleBob and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Zaba does this, I say "Thank you for sharing".

:D

I don't let him near other people when he's about to shake 'tho.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  3. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We teach our labs (our maybe they just do it) to shake off when we give them a shower. Anyway we say shake and they do, while we are still in the shower. They usually shake as soon as they come out of the water if we are at a river or lake.

4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I've tried to teach Homer to shake on command, but with little actual success. I can just about predict a shake coming so give a watch out call to anyone near.

I'm sure Mocha (love the name) thinks they must be too hot in the sun and need to cool down! Who doesn't like a little doggy shower to cool off!! :rolleyes: I'm sure he get's a lovely reaction of squeals and jumping up and down from his victims so of course they must love it.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

LOL, I've noticed that too, it's as if they want to share their fun. You're lucky, Oban prefers mud puddles. He's why I'm always dressed like a bum when I walk him, why risk my good clothes?

You can teach SHAKE, the same way you did potty training. Wait for the action, assign the name while she's doing it. Soon, hopefully, you can have her shake when you tell her to, away from other people, but likely still close to you. I never bothered, we are out in bush and meet few other people.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I heard a good way to teach shake was to create the action by dribbling a few drops of water onto the dog's head. Apparently that's enough to make them shake. That way you can repeat the cue enough times to associate it. Can't say I've tried it, mind!

charlie likes this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's usually up my walls :rolleyes:

Now I like the sound of Fiona's idea, I will give it a go, got to be better than washing the walls and paintwork weekly :D xx

Jes72 likes this.
  8. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

I guess it will remain a mystery why dogs can target humans to spray. Actually I can cue her to shake. But I can't seem to stop her from shaking. I sing my cue:

Shake shake shake
    Shake shake shake
    shake your booty

whenever she shakes since she was small.
    Snowshoe, Mocha LOVES mud too, and I dress like a homeless person.

9. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Nope, we dress like dog lovers! One day muddy paw prints and slobbery pocketswill be the height of fashion and every one will be paying top end prices just to look like us!

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Every time I see this thread, I think it's titled "Premeditated human spaying"!!!!!!

SwampDonkey likes this.
  11. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Yip me too. And my first thought was...I would be down with that.

Kelsey&Axel and snowbunny like this.
  12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I had my human spay ten years ago - I really really recommend it, new lease of life :D

TMI? :p

Rosie and snowbunny like this.
  13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I thought it was gonna be about dogs wee-ing on people :|

I just keep Obi on lead if we're around people. Regardless, we usually cop the worst of the spray. They definitely DO seek out humans for this purpose. Cheeky doggies!

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  14. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

No hot flashes causing YOU to be the one who dives into every wet spot to cool off? ;)

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I get words confused a lot and I thought it said human spaying. There have been a few threads titles that I have had to read a few times :D

16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

If a wet dog comes towards you stand in front of the dogs head like. If it shakes the spray/shake it goes to the side and misses you. I taught them all to shake on command Moos the best at it and Rorys just learning. Its great I can get loads of people really wet with just one word. Oh you have a command so they don't wet people know what would be the fun in that :D

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  17. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Well..... puppies learn to jump up at people because people give such a lovely reaction of squeals and noise (until we all learn that we need to ignore them in order to stop the jumping up!).

So....Mocha has learned that shaking over people also results in a lovely reaction. Lots and lots of squeals of joy and delight...or something. Except from you, of course, you are really quite boring about it....so she needs to find other people who appreciate it more.

Quite difficult to train out, given that she is pretty well always going to get that reaction!