Proud Mum moment

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, May 6, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`ve been working hard with Nell , its four weeks since she came to live with us and three weeks since we realised that she had hearing loss . So , a challenge for sure, but I have time to give her and patience too , which she deserves after three previous homes failed her . We soon discovered that a high pitched whistle can be heard , so much work on the long line , calling her back via the whistle , much praise and a tasty treat when she complied . Next stop , drop the end of the long line , problem being that she is tiny and the long line must be like dragging a ball and chain behind her, especially when it gets wet , but we stuck at it . I had previously thought that she wouldn't even be able to go off lead , letting a rehomed dog off lead for the first time is bad enough, but chuck in the deafness and its mind blowing ! This morning , the conditions were right , not many people around at the woodland , and suddenly I felt confident or maybe stupid , but I unhooked her with a sick feeling in my stomach . Brilliant , absolutely brilliant , I felt so happy to see her having more freedom , so this afternoon I decided to repeat the exercise . There were a lot of people, children and dogs around , she had a blast with one large hairy dog , chasing around together , all fine until they began to walk away and she followed her new bestie . My goodness, the whistle got some stick , and thankfully , she stopped in her tracks, turned and ran back like a rocket . I think I was pushing my luck really, it being so busy , and I will have to monitor where she can be allowed off her long line , it has to be a safe place , but for one little deaf dog , it has been a wonderful start .

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Fantastic to read - I bet Nell really had a blast today. That first off-lead moment is definitely NOT the best bit about re-homing, but it has to be done. Well done Kate.

kateincornwall likes this.
  3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

That's great! It must be a big help that she can hear the whistle.

4. kateincornwall

It certainly is ! Its the one sound she responds too , normal voices aren't heard at all , even loud noises don't seem to register , but thankfully the whistle does x

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You go Nell, great job Kate, so happy she can go off lead :) xx

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Great news. Have you tried the biothane long lines? I think they are called that and are so much lighter.

7. kateincornwall

I`ve just ordered one Stacia , the only drawback being that its vivid yellow ! But you`re right , they are so much lighter , especially good for a very small dog x

Stacia likes this.
  8. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

What a lovely thing to read. Well done you.

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Such a great day! So happy for you both. Xxx

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Lovely to hear, Kate. I bet she was in her element :)

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

That's fantastic Kate x

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

The one I saw was vivid lime green :D

13. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Well done to you, fantastic news .

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well done to little Nell and an even bigger well done to you Kate for developing a firm bond and TRUSTING x

charlie, selina27 and kateincornwall like this.
  15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ah well done Kate, and Nell too!!

16. kateincornwall

Three days on , and still off lead but only at Golitha Falls which is a safe place . Nell loves it , she checks in often , also watches Sam a lot . Sam used to love tracking, it was his joy, but these days he has slowed considerably , preferring to stay closer to me , so I`m happy for her to plod after him . They are pretty well matched, exercise wise as he doesn't want such massive walks as he use to have , all going well so far but I cant relax , still watch her like a hawk ! Ironically , I met a couple yesterday who remarked how pretty Nell is and how tiny she must have been as a puppy . I explained the situation , adding that she is deaf , they seemed shocked at this , and had the audacity to ask if it was fair to " keep a deaf dog " . My reply is not fit to print on here x

MF likes this.
  17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:eek:
    I hope you didn't lamp them!

18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I have a friend who has a totally blind dog and someone actually was moronic enough to say the same to her. Yet they couldn't tell until you said. As long as she's happy and enjoying her life its fine and to suggest thats it's unfair to keep her alive shows a very poor understanding of animals. You meet more people that get it than don't you were just unfortunate today. Sorry you had to put up with them you know you are doing a good thing

19. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Nothing wrong in being deaf, those people must be nutty! I used to walk with a chap with a blind poodle and she always knew where he was, probably the scent of him. Nell has a nose and eyes, so she will be fine :D

20. kateincornwall

I was most tempted ! But sufficed with a few choice words instead , then a smile ( always throws the insulter ) and " Have a nice walk " x

SwampDonkey and drjs@5 like this.