Pup Doesn't Sleep in Bed

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by SimoneB, Jun 14, 2018.

1. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

Caspar, now 7 and a half months was initially crated in our utility room. When he got too big for it we put down his bed and just closed the door to said room to contain any possible mischief. In the last week I have been leaving the door open, giving him the run of the open plan kitchen/family room as it was getting rather stuffy in the small room in the warm weather (I did have the window open a little for ventilation). I also knew that he was waking early as it is light in there. but as it is next to the glass back door blinds etc not practical.Now he can at least access his toy box to amuse himself if he wants to. However, I am 99% certain that he doesn't sleep in his bed at all, not ever. He either sleeps on the doormat, a rug or one of the sofas, or most likely a combination of all. He never saw his crate or his bed as his sanctuary, nor ever went there during the day, not even once. So my question is do I just put a blanket on the sofa where I suspect he mostly sleeps? It is leather and his puppy claws had already marked it. I blame the man of the house as this is where he mostly sat or lay cuddling pup when small. Any thought or experience of something like this? When I visited a family member whose dog doesn't have a designated bed I was horrified, but that was when we had our last Lab who loved his bed.

2. Anomaly

Anomaly Registered Users

It could be that the floor or the leather is cooler since it is getting warm outside. I think it’s completely up to you. You could also put the bed in the family area to see if that makes a difference. And you could get a bigger crate but keep it in the airy space for awhile.

3. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

I may try and move his bed for night times and see whether he sleeps in it. We are staying in a pet friendly rental in the summer and dogs are not allowed on sofas, but I think this will be hard to enforce.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It is we just take throws for the furniture. What the eyes doesn't see etc;)

Jes72 and SimoneB like this.
  5. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I'm going to a rental house in the summer which has a 'no dogs on furniture' rule so I'll be taking throws for all sofas just in case :rolleyes:.

Jes72 likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Just keep and curtains closed at strategic times

SimoneB likes this.
  7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Agree with the above. Throws are the way forward for rentals :)