Pup not eating ;(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Naya, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley has gone off her kibble over the past few days. We have tried adding sardines, wet food, cheese, warm water etc, previously she loved all of these extras, but would eat her food plain too.
    She hardly ate all day yesterday and today. She picked out the wet food tonight and the sardines last night, but wouldn't eat the kibble. She picked at lunchtime, but when my daughter went out earlier, she wolfed down a rice bone.
    I'm thinking of putting her on wet food for a few days to see how she goes.
    Any suggestions of good grain free wet food??

2. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Re: Pup not eating ;(

Have you tried gesture eating? I know it's linked to dominance stuff, but if murphy is being funny with his food all I do is hold his bowl of food and eat a biscuit and then put his bowl down and he eats it. It was suggested to me when he was a little pup and he was funny with his food and iv only had to do it a couple of times since but it's always worked. I don't know or understand the dominance stuff, I just do it coz it's showing him that he should be eating.hopefully it's nothing bad and her just having a funny five minutes :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If this is sudden, I'd check the kibble. I had a large bag last summer (bought in a large bag as it was cheaper) and the kibble went off. Little bits of mildew in the centre. Even though I'd stored it as recommended.

I think it was David who bought a new bag of kibble and found it was off. Must have got damp at some point, I think he thought.

I buy very small bags now.

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

My mum uses frankies suggestion with her yorkie as she is a notoriously bad eater and it does work.

But I would be thinking along the same sort of lines as Julie in that perhaps there's something wrong with that bag of food.

This must be frustrating for you as I know you've had problems with Harley's diet! Arden Grange do good wet food but you'll have to check as I'm not sure it's totally grain free. Wainwrights from pets at home have recently started a grain free range which I think includes wet food.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Fwhitt246 link=topic=6976.msg94952#msg94952 date=1405373625]
    Have you tried gesture eating? I know it's linked to dominance stuff, but if murphy is being funny with his food all I do is hold his bowl of food and eat a biscuit and then put his bowl down and he eats it. It was suggested to me when he was a little pup and he was funny with his food and iv only had to do it a couple of times since but it's always worked. I don't know or understand the dominance stuff, I just do it coz it's showing him that he should be eating.hopefully it's nothing bad and her just having a funny five minutes.
    [/quote]

When I had Gavin on his own he was a terribly fussy eater, but when Callum arrived six months later he was cured! Gavin didn't want someone else eating his food even 'tho he had been refusing it!

So I think there may be something in what you say :)

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

That is odd, hope she is OK...can you try her just on the Bob and Lush wet food for a bit?

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Checked the bag and it seems ok.
    I've gone out and brought some additional wet food and also ordered more wet off Bob and Lush which Harley loves :D
    Going to try this for a week and only put in a bit of kibble and slowly add it until she's back on 'normal' food.

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Good thinking ;)