Puppies on airplanes

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by pessman, Dec 9, 2019.

1. pessman

pessman Registered Users

First time poster. Long time multiple Lab owner. Would like to know if anyone has experience flying a new puppy home with them in-cabin. Its a United non-stop flight of about 4 hrs. Puppies apparently need to be in a hard or soft carrier (17.5"x12"x7.5"). So......1) Will they fit in a carrier underneath the seat; 2) Which carrier is best?; 3) Would you medicate an 8-9 week old pup to temper the stress of the flight?; 4) Besides having water and chews available, any special considerations?; 5) From a highly reputable breeder and excellent OFA/pedigree line, this will be a therapy dog....does that add anything to the mix? 6) Hows United?

Driving distance is about 2,000 miles so 3-4 solid days travel with stops. I've flown older dogs in cargo and won't do that again! Thanks for your help......

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Very unlikely. We just had a litter of puppies and I looked into this because someone in Canada wanted one. Unfortunately I came to the conclusion the pup would not fit under the seat even at 8wks and would end up flying in the hold, so we turned the buyer down.

It really depends on the route, as well as the time of year, time of day etc...

No, and I think you'll find this is strictly against airline policy because medicating puppies increases the chances of breathing problems etc during the flight - and dead or sick puppies at the other end. So most airlines forbid medicating puppies and it's not really considered acceptable.

You will not be able to have chews available if puppy travels in the hold. Water only.

You will probably find the puppy just sleeps - everything is so new that they are often comatose on their trips back.

3. pessman

pessman Registered Users

Jo: Thanks for the very comprehensive response. Much appreciated. Taking pups/dogs "in-cabin" seem the allowed by 7-8 carriers although the restrictions vary. One of my friends who is a lab breeder sent me a picture (which I apparently can't upload) of a 8-9 week old lab pup on an American Airlines flight. Had to laugh at the little nose sticking out of the bag! The next debate is whether flying is better for a young pup than driving 3-4 days (even with two travelers, one always comforting & overseeing the pup in the back of a mini van with seats out and bedding down). Cheers. Phil

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

It's usually based on weight. If the puppy weighs over a certain amount, they won't be able to fly in-cabin. The pup also needs to be able to stand up fully, turn around etc in the carrier - or won't be allowed in cabin.

When we looked into it our (working bred and on the small side) Lab pups would not have fitted in cabin at 8 weeks.

5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

When Cooper was 7 weeks she rode nearly 400 miles across Oregon to meet us in Portland. I don't think 3 or 4 days would be too bad, but you would need to stop for potty breaks and bring plenty of towels. I presume you are in the US or Canada. We don't seem to be as concerned about letting a pup walk on the ground after first shots.

6. BennyG

BennyG Registered Users

I googled and selected a part of United Airlines’ In-Cabin Pet Policy:

• Cats and dogs must be over 4 months old

• It is recommended to carry a health certificate

• Unaccompanied minors can not travel with a pet

• Oxygen service will not be available for pets. (A breathable kennel is vital for the pet and ensures that the animal stays comfortably there and the cabin meets the seat size: The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5 inches long x 12 inches wide x 7.5 inches high (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm). The recommended maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 inches long x 11 inches wide x 11 inches high (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm).)

• In-cabin pets must travel on the same flights as the handler

• For an additional pet, another ticket must be purchased ($125 service fee and extra stopover service charge as stated above)

Make sure you can calm down your puppy if he feels nervous or anxious on the plane. Prepare some treats to distract his anxiety or fear during the flight. I don't recommend to calm down a health dog with medication, until it is prescribed by your vet.
    As puppies are difficult to hold their pee for several hours, it's better to evacuate his bladder before boarding. Also, you can do some training homework in advance.