Puppies with other dogs in household

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by karen burton, Aug 26, 2022.

1. karen burton

karen burton Registered Users

I have a 13 week old black lab puppy and a 3 year old yellow lab. When my older dog is around, my puppy barks constantly to get him to play, even after the older dog corrects and wants to stop. I have read so much contradictory information about ignoring the barking vs stopping it with the "quiet" command but no matter what I do, the puppy becomes frenzied and then gets the zoomies -- starts bouncing off the older pup's back. . .I am at my wit's end, trying to figure out how to get the puppy to settle. When I put the older dog on the other side of the gate that walls of one side of my very small cottage, he just stands there, looking like he is being punished. . .and the puppy goes to the gate and just barks more for the older dog to come in. I know I have been inconsistent, as I can't figure out the best way to address this without fearing that, if I do the wrong thing, I will be creating even more on a monster. Also, I am so sleep deprived that the barking overwhelms me and it is difficult for me to just let it go on. . .

When my older dog is in dog daycare, the puppy is so much better behaved . . .and just much more mellow in general. My older dog is very mellow and sociable, but doesn't want to play as much as the puppy does.

i would be grateful for any advice, as I am feeling like I've made such a huge mistake in even getting the puppy, thinking that my older dog would enjoy having a playmate. . .